Should I write a "Why School X" addendum if applying ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolapplicant13

Should I write a "Why School X" addendum if applying ED?

Postby lawschoolapplicant13 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:39 am

I am applying to a law school (where I also attended for undergrad) early decision. On their application, they say "A brief second statement outlining your specific interest in our law school is preferred, but not required." I am slightly below their median UGPA/LSAT range.

Is writing a "Why School X" addendum redundant since I am applying early decision? or should I write the addendum regardless since their admissions committee specifically says that they prefer one?

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Re: Should I write a "Why School X" addendum if applying ED?

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:04 am

I think what ED says is that a school is your first choice. The additional essay could explain why. If you do decide to write the additional essay, do not bother telling them how great their school is.

If your reason for attending the school contributes to your application, write it. If it's redundant, don't. How do you know if it contributes? Well, I think we would have to know more to give you an answer. You could probably think through this

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:49 am

I did, but I had meaningful things to say.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:17 am

I'm wondering the same thing; I have strong ties to the state where I'm applying, but with a binding ED application, why would they care? By applying ED, I'm committing myself to attend if they accept me, probably without any significant financial aid. That right there seems like the ultimate "Why X" statement. And I'm certainly not going to be able to tell them anything about their school or the local legal market that they don't already know.

I guess a statement demonstrating your ties might help convince them you're not hoping to transfer out after 1L?

Basically, if you're applying binding ED, you're obviously not worried about a YP ding, so what should you be putting into the "Why X" statement?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:09 am

As poster already said, it's not a chance to say you're interested, that much is clear. It's a chance to explain why you're interested.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:02 pm

With ED, it's probably redundant. But since they're actually asking for it, rather than just having the option, I would write it to avoid the impression that you didn't read their instructions carefully.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”