Early Decision and Financial Aid?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
girlmonster

Early Decision and Financial Aid?

Postby girlmonster » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I have some questions about how applying ED, specifically to CLS or NYU, impacts the potential for financial aid. I understand most people on TLS are ED-averse because you won't be able to compare financial aid packages or have any leverage, but would a school exclude you from need-based aid if you apply ED? I am dead-set on going to either one of these schools, and with my numbers, I need whatever boost ED can give me. Currently, I intend to ED to CLS because (1) I think that's where it will have the greater impact and (2) their financial aid is almost solely need-based (per their website). However, I saw this in another thread:
Would EDing at Columbia/NYU significantly increase my chances? And if I ED, am I eligible for scholarships/aid the next two years even if I get none my first year?

No (maybe because you'd be paying sticker) and no

I then looked to LSN to verify this. It turns out that everyone on there who EDed to either school in the last two cycles with my numbers did get accepted, but didn't get any financial aid. Could this be a coincidence? Or does applying ED to certain schools come with the understanding that you will be paying sticker, regardless of any aid for which you would otherwise qualify?

Thank you!

Tiago Splitter

Re: Early Decision and Financial Aid?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:16 pm

You should expect to pay sticker if you apply ED anywhere. CLS is no exception. And in spite of what their website says most of their aid is merit, not need, based.

What are your numbers.

girlmonster

Re: Early Decision and Financial Aid?

Postby girlmonster » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:And in spite of what their website says most of their aid is merit, not need, based.

I had a feeling that was the case. Thanks for the clarification. My numbers are 3.58 and 172.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”