Are "Why X" statements useless for me?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pancakes12

Are "Why X" statements useless for me?

Postby Pancakes12 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:40 pm

I believe I am likely to be YP'ed at some schools in the T-14. I've heard people say that "Why X" statements are useless if you will eventually choose schools based off of rank and scholarships. Is this true in my position?

Additionally, how does YP really work? Are you placed on a waitlist and then not accepted until you show significant interest? Does being YP'ed hurt your chances for money?

jordan15

Re: Are "Why X" statements useless for me?

Postby jordan15 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:11 pm

I don't think Why X statements are useless for anybody. Why would you turn down an opportunity to demonstrate your interest in the school, hopefully show off more of your great qualities (ie, I'm interested in X because X has a program that relates to my WE or undergrad studies), and give them another strong writing sample?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Pancakes12 wrote:I believe I am likely to be YP'ed at some schools in the T-14. I've heard people say that "Why X" statements are useless if you will eventually choose schools based off of rank and scholarships. Is this true in my position?

Additionally, how does YP really work? Are you placed on a waitlist and then not accepted until you show significant interest? Does being YP'ed hurt your chances for money?

Whoever gave you that advice was wrong. You should write Why X essays for MVP on down.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:09 am

My sense is that a bad "Why X" statement can hurt you. If you can't write a sincere one, it might just annoy the people reading your file. And if you think you can fake a sincere one, keep in mind that you're probably not special and no better at faking sincerity than anyone else.

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Your responses confirm my suspicions! Thanks!

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:56 pm

The exercise of writing a Why X statement is great though since it forces you to research the school. You tend to discover things that are appealing even if you weren't initially seriously considering the school.

Split90

Postby Split90 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:39 pm

thewaves wrote:The exercise of writing a Why X statement is great though since it forces you to research the school. You tend to discover things that are appealing even if you weren't initially seriously considering the school.

+1

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:00 pm

I didn't write any out of pure laziness :( wish I had, but oh well. YOLO

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:07 pm

midwest17 wrote:My sense is that a bad "Why X" statement can hurt you. If you can't write a sincere one, it might just annoy the people reading your file. And if you think you can fake a sincere one, keep in mind that you're probably not special and no better at faking sincerity than anyone else.

It often is pretty hard to write a convincing one - because honestly, most people's reasons for applying to Penn versus say UVA or Michigan don't differ that much. And the one similar reason that "it's a T14 school" doesn't work well in an essay.

In my case I'm not writing them.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:32 pm

midwest17 wrote:My sense is that a bad "Why X" statement can hurt you. If you can't write a sincere one, it might just annoy the people reading your file. And if you think you can fake a sincere one, keep in mind that you're probably not special and no better at faking sincerity than anyone else.

This, though I think you can still write a sincere essay by shifting the focus. There will always be programs and elements of a school that you like. If you can't write a sincere essay stating that some of those elements would cause you to choose that school, write an essay talking about why you would take advantage of those programs if you ended up at that school.

Will the schools note the different focus? Probably. But they'll know that you cared enough to look into the school, which will put you ahead of people who didn't even make that effort.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”