Where to get "official" C&F advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jimmwaller

Where to get "official" C&F advice?

Postby jimmwaller » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:30 pm

I have kind of a tricky C&F question. I've seen people talk about C&F lawyers, but I can't seem to find one, and I live in a LARGE metro area.

I've just been checking yellow pages, yelp, google, etc. and looking for C&F lawyer. Am I just searching wrong? Is there a good C&F lawyer that people here trust that might be willing to do a phone consultation from somewhere else in the country and then bill me?

Or, should I just be emailing schools? Will the admissions office actually give me solid advice, or will they err on the side of wanting everything disclosed?

thanks!

mr. wednesday

Re: Where to get "official" C&F advice?

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Post the state you want to be admitted in and I am positive someone will be able to google an attorney that does character and fitness.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Def don't trust schools on this one.

jimmwaller

Postby jimmwaller » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Does it go by state? I was hoping there was a lawyer out there that I could just send my C&F info to, and then give them the questions that each school gives, and they could just tell me which schools I need to disclose to or not

No lawyers like that out there?

thanks!

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:05 pm

jimmwaller wrote:Does it go by state? I was hoping there was a lawyer out there that I could just send my C&F info to, and then give them the questions that each school gives, and they could just tell me which schools I need to disclose to or not

No lawyers like that out there?

thanks!

"Character and Fitness" is what you need to pass when you apply to become licensed, so of course that goes state by state. When you go through the Character and Fitness process, they will compare your disclosures to them to your law school application and see if you left something off.

What you are asking for is not a character and fitness question at all, it is an admissions question. And whatever you are trying to hide is either minor enough that the admissions committee won't care about it after you've disclosed it, or major enough that it will be an issue when you don't disclose it to the school and then DO have to disclose it to your state C&F. The end result is you disclosing it.

If you think it will be an issue in you being admitted, you should consult a state C&F attorney now so that you aren't wasting 3 years of your life and $250k in tuition on a license you might not qualify for.

jimmwaller

Postby jimmwaller » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:19 pm

hmmm.... this isn't the impression I had.

I was under the impression that there were two C&F hurdles (kind of): one for school admissions, which is what I'm asking about, and then another for the bar.

But, school C&F wording can vary, so that it could easily be the case that there's something that you would have to disclose to the bar but not to schools. I don't think it's accurate to suggest that a state bar will compare your state disclosures to your school apps, and discrepancies are automatically a problem.

I believe that your disclosures could theoretically be different from school to school, and then the bar would be different again, depending on the wording on each. I don't think it's the case that you HAVE to disclose everything to every school, and I further think that, if you're on the bubble like me, it might be wise to leave a disclosure (so long as it's definitely minor enough that the bar won't care) off so long as the wording doesn't ask for it.

thoughts?

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:28 pm

If it is so minor that that the bar won't care that it's left off, the school won't care about it for admissions purposes. Why would you create a potential problem in getting your license, possibly making your JD worthless, for something that isn't even going to affect your admissions cycle? That's just stupid.

If it is going to affect your admissions cycle, it's not minor enough for the bar to not care. Don't create more problems for yourself in three years for no reason.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:48 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:29 pm

jimmwaller wrote:I don't think it's accurate to suggest that a state bar will compare your state disclosures to your school apps, and discrepancies are automatically a problem.

You're wrong - that is something that they definitely can and do check. I had a friend for whom that was an issue - he cleared it up without much trouble, but it definitely held his application up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”