Major C&F problems. How bad is it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CandFwoes

Major C&F problems. How bad is it?

Postby CandFwoes » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:55 am

Last edited by CandFwoes on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearsfan23

Re: Major C&F problems. How bad is it?

Postby bearsfan23 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:43 am

For most people C&F isn't a big deal and as long as you're truthful and write the addendums nobody cares.

In your case, honestly I wouldn't go the law school unless I was sure I could be admitted to the bar. I'm not judging you, but bar examiners will. Getting arrested twice in 2012, given that lengthy of a misconduct history could be a major red flag. Also sounds like there might be some mental health things that could be another red flag

I have no idea if this will have an impact on admissions, but the more important thing I'd be worried about is getting into a good law school then not being able to sit for the bar.

I think your best bet is to really check with the Bar in the state your thinking about practicing, and also to consult an attorney who deals with C&F issues, hth good luck

BruinRegents

Postby BruinRegents » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:47 am

bearsfan23 wrote:For most people C&F isn't a big deal and as long as you're truthful and write the addendums nobody cares.

In your case, honestly I wouldn't go the law school unless I was sure I could be admitted to the bar. I'm not judging you, but bar examiners will. Getting arrested twice in 2012, given that lengthy of a misconduct history could be a major red flag. Also sounds like there might be some mental health things that could be another red flag

I have no idea if this will have an impact on admissions, but the more important thing I'd be worried about is getting into a good law school then not being able to sit for the bar.

I think your best bet is to really check with the Bar in the state your thinking about practicing, and also to consult an attorney who deals with C&F issues, hth good luck

This.

I hope the rest of your life gets worked out CandFwoes.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 pm

BruinRegents wrote:I hope the rest of your life gets worked out CandFwoes.

Same here - good luck sorting this out! I would go talk to an attorney who knows a lot about this, and I would also contact the Bar of the state in which you want to practice.

The situation might make for a strong personal statement/diversity essay, which would also "prop up" the explanatory essay by putting it in deeper context.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:16 pm

I think the above posters are spot on. You need to spend the money to talk with a C&F lawyer in the jurisdiction you plan on practicing in.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:20 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I think the above posters are spot on. You need to spend the money to talk with a C&F lawyer in the jurisdiction you plan on practicing in.

I had some difficulty with the C&F evaluation, and I have far fewer red flags than you do. You really need to pay for some legal advice before you commit to law school. There are attorneys who specialize in C&F appeals. Find one and pay for a consultation. No one on TLS is going to be able to give you good advice, unless some bar examiners have joined the site in recent months.

CandFwoes

Postby CandFwoes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Last edited by CandFwoes on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adb808

Postby Adb808 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:05 pm

You will almost certainly be seriously investigated when you apply for the bar, so you have to make sure your statements match police reports. You should request court records and police reports now. It's possible that some will have been purged (or will be by the time you apply to the bar). In that case, just get a letter to that effect.

You mentioned you were arrested at a peaceful protest. I knew a situation where an applicant made a similar disclosure but it turned out the police report said he was drunk and unruly. He also did a poor job at the CF hearing and was rude to the clerk, but was ultimately rejected for admission. So you want to make all arrests very accurate, even if the conviction was different or reduced. Don't over disclose either though. State facts as they occurred.

You're smart to have an attorney. Keep him/her involved throughout the process.

Good luck and don't give up if this is your dream!

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:09 pm

CandFwoes wrote:Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. Just wanted to update everyone: acting on your advice, I found an attorney specializing in disciplinary defense and spoke to him about my history. He told me that I must keep a clean record from here on (which I fully intend to), but that my previous issues shouldn't prevent me from being admitted. He suggested I engage in volunteer work to show that I'm giving back and trying to be a productive member of the community, and to run credit and DMV checks on myself to make sure I haven't missed anything. He also advised being as forthcoming as possible in my applications.

I've been working on my character and fitness addendum for a couple of days, and hope to have a draft complete by tonight; I'll post it here if anyone would like to offer critique!

Good to hear. I would suggest that you explain in your addendum that you have spoken with a C&F attorney and you have created a plan to ensure that you will be eligible. IMHO, I think it helped on my own app

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:19 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
CandFwoes wrote:Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. Just wanted to update everyone: acting on your advice, I found an attorney specializing in disciplinary defense and spoke to him about my history. He told me that I must keep a clean record from here on (which I fully intend to), but that my previous issues shouldn't prevent me from being admitted. He suggested I engage in volunteer work to show that I'm giving back and trying to be a productive member of the community, and to run credit and DMV checks on myself to make sure I haven't missed anything. He also advised being as forthcoming as possible in my applications.

I've been working on my character and fitness addendum for a couple of days, and hope to have a draft complete by tonight; I'll post it here if anyone would like to offer critique!

Good to hear. I would suggest that you explain in your addendum that you have spoken with a C&F attorney and you have created a plan to ensure that you will be eligible. IMHO, I think it helped on my own app

This sounds like a smart idea. Schools want to know that their graduates are going to become attorneys, because that obviously affects their employment rates. Letting them know that you've taken serious steps to make sure you will pass the bar will not only show that you're serious about law school, but that having you as a graduate isn't going to hurt their record.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”