Career/Financial Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chaoticx5

New

Career/Financial Advice

Post by chaoticx5 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 am

Yesterday, surprisingly I received an interview for an entry level management position at a prestigious hospitality company in my city. Here are my circumstances:

1. I am 2 years out of college (25yo) and am prepping for the December LSAT. 3.0 LSAC GPA and aiming for 172. Last PT (69) at 170. (I know I have to improve. I'm working on it haha)
2. Currently, I'm working full-time in hospitality for an ivy university. Getting paid hourly making about 30ks a year. I have about 6 years of experience in hospitality, 3 of it being full-time.
3. The management position is starting at 50ks and is a "training" position with promises of growth within the company and at other properties.
4. I have about 10ks of credit card debt. I also have about 50ks of student loans from undergraduate. No parental help.

Question is should I take the job with the company and wait another two/three years or proceed with law school? Career-wise and financially, what is the better decision?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Career/Financial Advice

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:49 am

chaoticx5 wrote:Yesterday, surprisingly I received an interview for an entry level management position at a prestigious hospitality company in my city. Here are my circumstances:

1. I am 2 years out of college (25yo) and am prepping for the December LSAT. 3.0 LSAC GPA and aiming for 172. Last PT (69) at 170. (I know I have to improve. I'm working on it haha)
2. Currently, I'm working full-time in hospitality for an ivy university. Getting paid hourly making about 30ks a year. I have about 6 years of experience in hospitality, 3 of it being full-time.
3. The management position is starting at 50ks and is a "training" position with promises of growth within the company and at other properties.
4. I have about 10ks of credit card debt. I also have about 50ks of student loans from undergraduate. No parental help.

Question is should I take the job with the company and wait another two/three years or proceed with law school? Career-wise and financially, what is the better decision?
You should take the job and see where you end up after applying next cycle. Given your UG debt and your GPA law school isn't likely to be a good financial decision.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
chaoticx5 wrote:Yesterday, surprisingly I received an interview for an entry level management position at a prestigious hospitality company in my city. Here are my circumstances:

You should take the job and see where you end up after applying next cycle. Given your UG debt and your GPA law school isn't likely to be a good financial decision.
This. The job is a certainty; law school is still just a possibility. Take the sure thing and see what ends up happening. Worst case scenario, you end up with some more work experience before going to law school.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Law school will always be an option. Full time employment might not be. Take the job and see if you can tolerate it.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:53 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

This. The job is a certainty; law school is still just a possibility. Take the sure thing and see what ends up happening. Worst case scenario, you end up with some more work experience before going to law school.
+1. This is a very good worst case scenario.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”