LSAC GPA factoring in Study Abroad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vicpin5190

Silver

LSAC GPA factoring in Study Abroad

Post by vicpin5190 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:19 am

So I just got my LSAC GPA, and its nothing surprising except I was under the impression that it took into account summer Study Abroad credits. It's a case for me where these credits and the grades I got would help my GPA out, and I was wondering if they usually get automatically applied or whats the case? i have the Academic Summary Report already available but is there a chance it can be updated or how can i find out if they are going to take into account my study abroad credit?

johngreen

New

Re: LSAC GPA factoring in Study Abroad

Post by johngreen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:29 am

vicpin5190 wrote:So I just got my LSAC GPA, and its nothing surprising except I was under the impression that it took into account summer Study Abroad credits. It's a case for me where these credits and the grades I got would help my GPA out, and I was wondering if they usually get automatically applied or whats the case? i have the Academic Summary Report already available but is there a chance it can be updated or how can i find out if they are going to take into account my study abroad credit?
This information must be reported. Did you receive a grade beyond a pass/fail?

vicpin5190

Silver

Post by vicpin5190 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:55 am

johngreen wrote:
vicpin5190 wrote:So I just got my LSAC GPA, and its nothing surprising except I was under the impression that it took into account summer Study Abroad credits. It's a case for me where these credits and the grades I got would help my GPA out, and I was wondering if they usually get automatically applied or whats the case? i have the Academic Summary Report already available but is there a chance it can be updated or how can i find out if they are going to take into account my study abroad credit?
This information must be reported. Did you receive a grade beyond a pass/fail?
i was told by my advisor that the grade was an actual grade. It didn't go towards my GPA at school but she mentioned that it was to be included in my law school gpa calculation, which like i mentioned, would be favorable to me.

The school is the one who has the record of my performance during the summer, do you think I need to contact them about it or something?

Noodlebrain

New

Post by Noodlebrain » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:30 am

From what I understand, if you received academic credit from an American institution i.e. a letter grade and a GPA from an American school, it will count. If you didn't, then it doesn't count.

For example, I studied abroad through an American university that was not my home institution. My home school did not factor the grades from my time abroad into my GPA, but the second university did. Therefore, I have three transcripts: one from my home school, one from the intermediary school, and one from the foreign school. Because I received graded, academic credit from the American university, those grades counted. Had the second American school not given me a graded transcript, the study abroad grades would not have counted.

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 am

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vicpin5190

Silver

Post by vicpin5190 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 am

Noodlebrain wrote:From what I understand, if you received academic credit from an American institution i.e. a letter grade and a GPA from an American school, it will count. If you didn't, then it doesn't count.

For example, I studied abroad through an American university that was not my home institution. My home school did not factor the grades from my time abroad into my GPA, but the second university did. Therefore, I have three transcripts: one from my home school, one from the intermediary school, and one from the foreign school. Because I received graded, academic credit from the American university, those grades counted. Had the second American school not given me a graded transcript, the study abroad grades would not have counted.
Interesting. I know i got credit for the coursework I did abroad, but my school opted not to count towards the GPA calculation, only as credit towards my degree. I figured that was a school policy, and I was lead to believe that since there is a letter grade associated with the study abroad course work, that even though it wasn't applied as GPA credit at my school, it would still be applied in law school calculations.

Would this be the same case as you've described? It technically isn't a grade on my GPA but there is a letter grade associated with it.

Noodlebrain

New

Post by Noodlebrain » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 am

Right so it's a little confusing. On my home institution transcript credit is applied, but there's no grade. There's a grade on both the foreign school's transcript AND the intermediary school's transcript. I don't know why the intermediary school gave me academic credit, but because I got graded, academic credit from an American university, it counted towards my GPA.

I think my case is pretty unusual. Generally speaking, I think study abroad credit rarely counts towards LSAC GPA.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Does your American transcript have a line where it says something like this?

Study Abroad Course. Credits: 3. Grade: _

Noodlebrain

New

Post by Noodlebrain » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:57 pm

My transcripts look like this:

Home institution-
Study Abroad Course. 3 Credits. Grade: TR

American Intermediary School -
Study Abroad Course. 3 Credits. Grade: A

Foreign School -
Study Abroad Course. 3 Credits. Grade: A

Because I received graded credit from American school #2, it counted towards my GPA. Otherwise, it would not have.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 pm

midwest17 wrote:Does your American transcript have a line where it says something like this?

Study Abroad Course. Credits: 3. Grade: _
To clarify, this was directed at the OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”