(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kenwash

Postby kenwash » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:32 am

EDITED: I increased my LSAT score. I attribute my improvement to studying differently...I took a course instead of studying on my own. For schools that require an addendum for large increases, what's the best way to explain my improvement? How will my "studying differently" explanation be viewed? For schools that do not require an addendum, should I provide one anyways?
Last edited by kenwash on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

pin_s

Re: Addendum for 15 Point LSAT Increase

Postby pin_s » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:19 am

If I were in your position (a great one to be, btw), I would tie the point increase to some greater personal change that you experienced in between your initial and current scores. Discuss a lack of commitment due to your reservations about attending law school, and then explain how over time you developed an authentic interest which allowed you to study more effectively and take the lsat a bit more seriously. I always think statements revealing some sort of positive transformation are compelling, allowing you to remedy potential blemishes while showcasing current strengths. If you feel like your addendum is strong/well written, I would send it to all the schools that you apply to.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:59 am

I honestly doubt it needs to be more complicated than "I believed that my first two scores did not reflect my true potential, and reviewed my study habits. Being more familiar with the test and studying more effectively allowed me to attain a score that is more indicative of my potential." Rough first cut, but you get the idea.

I think all they want to know is if you had appendicitis during your first test or something. You really don't need to write about personal transformations or anything. I don't think anyone is really going to care. They're just going to see that 169.

johngreen

Postby johngreen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:34 am

kenwash wrote:I increased my LSAT score 15 points (154 to 159 to 169). I attribute my improvement to studying differently...I took a course instead of studying on my own. For schools that require an addendum for large increases, what's the best way to explain my improvement? How will my "studying differently" explanation be viewed? For schools that do not require an addendum, should I provide one anyways?

The addenda is necessary. I would explain fully with all details why your score improved

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:09 am

This is an all-purpose reply, for lots of questions that get asked on this forum.

Law schools are desperate for well-qualified applicants right now. This to some greater or lesser extent includes every school south of Harvard.

The italicized sentence essentially answers the following questions, and many many more:

(1) "How should I explain the increase in my LSAT score?"

(2) "Should I have an interests section on my resume?"

(3) "Is it OK to have a rec letter from X as opposed to Y?"

(4) "How should I explain why I withdrew after being accepted at a school that I'm applying to again?"

(5) "Will schools care that I got a MIP when I was 19?"

(6) "Does taking the LSAT in December hurt my chances?"

Etc etc etc

The answer to all such questions is, it doesn't matter*

*Above does not necessarily apply to Yale#

#You're not getting into Yale

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:05 am

pin_s wrote:If I were in your position (a great one to be, btw), I would tie the point increase to some greater personal change that you experienced in between your initial and current scores. Discuss a lack of commitment due to your reservations about attending law school, and then explain how over time you developed an authentic interest which allowed you to study more effectively and take the lsat a bit more seriously. I always think statements revealing some sort of positive transformation are compelling, allowing you to remedy potential blemishes while showcasing current strengths. If you feel like your addendum is strong/well written, I would send it to all the schools that you apply to.

Definitely do not do this.

johngreen wrote:The addenda is necessary.

No, it isn't.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:44 am

What Campos said. Always what Campos says.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:55 am

if anything, just say you were sick on the first take.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:06 pm

wtrc wrote:What Campos said. Always what Campos says.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Paul Campos wrote:You're not getting into Yale

Not arguing the point but man that was kind of harsh, eh?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:00 pm

I didn't write one at all with a twelve point increase. Would recommend.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Clearly wrote:I didn't write one at all with a twelve point increase. Would recommend.

Would recommend writing one?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:52 pm

pin_s wrote:If I were in your position (a great one to be, btw), I would tie the point increase to some greater personal change that you experienced in between your initial and current scores. Discuss a lack of commitment due to your reservations about attending law school, and then explain how over time you developed an authentic interest which allowed you to study more effectively and take the lsat a bit more seriously. I always think statements revealing some sort of positive transformation are compelling, allowing you to remedy potential blemishes while showcasing current strengths. If you feel like your addendum is strong/well written, I would send it to all the schools that you apply to.

For the love of god, don't do this. It will make you look crazy.

If an application specifically wants an addendum, or if it'll just make you feel better, write one like TheSpanishMain suggested.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 pm

altoid99 wrote:
Clearly wrote:I didn't write one at all with a twelve point increase. Would recommend.

Would recommend writing one?

I meant would recommend not writing, sorry for ambiguity. This is a case where I don't think it really makes a difference either way. The point of an addendum is ultimately to try to stop them from assuming the worst about a negative part of the app. From an lsat perspective,the worst assumption they can make about a score jump is they didn't take it as serious as they should, or they went about studying wrong. In this case, the explanation presented is basically the same as the worst they could assume. If the reason was more unexpected, I'd say write it, but here I don't think it matters.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:25 am

Paul Campos wrote:This is an all-purpose reply, for lots of questions that get asked on this forum.

Law schools are desperate for well-qualified applicants right now. This to some greater or lesser extent includes every school south of Harvard.

The italicized sentence essentially answers the following questions, and many many more:

(1) "How should I explain the increase in my LSAT score?"

(2) "Should I have an interests section on my resume?"

(3) "Is it OK to have a rec letter from X as opposed to Y?"

(4) "How should I explain why I withdrew after being accepted at a school that I'm applying to again?"

(5) "Will schools care that I got a MIP when I was 19?"

(6) "Does taking the LSAT in December hurt my chances?"

Etc etc etc

The answer to all such questions is, it doesn't matter*

*Above does not necessarily apply to Yale#

#You're not getting into Yale

this made me LOL so hard.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”