Do publications matter for admission?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Amicus_Curiae2013

Do publications matter for admission?

Postby Amicus_Curiae2013 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Can anyone that applied to and got into a Top school comment on this? Did you get any comments from Adcom regarding your publications? I am currently studying for the December LSAT and have a paper already complete that is due for publication. Unfortunately, I don't have much time/patience to work on all the feedback/APA nighthmare I am getting from my editor. I thought this would look great on my résumé and I also was going to draw some parts of the paper for schools that require an essay. But I don't feel like dealing with the editing/redo tables/APA requirements etc... at this time. :?

Br3v

Re: Do publications matter for admission?

Postby Br3v » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:Can anyone that applied to and got into a Top school comment on this? Did you get any comments from Adcom regarding your publications? I am currently studying for the December LSAT and have a paper already complete that is due for publication. Unfortunately, I don't have much time/patience to work on all the feedback/APA nighthmare I am getting from my editor. I thought this would look great on my résumé and I also was going to draw some parts of the paper for schools that require an essay. But I don't feel like dealing with the editing/redo tables/APA requirements etc... at this time. :?

It's something to put on resume but not going to make much of a difference.

Also chances are, depending on topic of paper, your not going to want to use it as your personal statement. In fact some schools may explicitly restric that even if you wanted to.

Postby 06102016 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Amicus_Curiae2013

Postby Amicus_Curiae2013 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Great input, thanks.
I was not thinking about writing a personal statement about this but I thought it would be ok to discuss one of the topics to fulfill essay requirement where applicable. Makes me wonder now...

Br3v wrote:
Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:Can anyone that applied to and got into a Top school comment on this? Did you get any comments from Adcom regarding your publications? I am currently studying for the December LSAT and have a paper already complete that is due for publication. Unfortunately, I don't have much time/patience to work on all the feedback/APA nighthmare I am getting from my editor. I thought this would look great on my résumé and I also was going to draw some parts of the paper for schools that require an essay. But I don't feel like dealing with the editing/redo tables/APA requirements etc... at this time. :?

It's something to put on resume but not going to make much of a difference.

Also chances are, depending on topic of paper, your not going to want to use it as your personal statement. In fact some schools may explicitly restric that even if you wanted to.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 am

I imagine it's a nice line on the resume, although how much this helps is likely determined by where you're being published. Presitigious national journal > internal college publication, obviously.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”