Fee Waiver "hold" problem

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iskim88

Fee Waiver "hold" problem

Postby iskim88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:50 am

Last summer, I had worked as a summer intern at a firm where I had gotten paid about 3-4000 dollars.
I paid taxes during those 10 weeks. After that, I came back to Korea (I'm a US/Korea Dual-citizen BTW).

Without knowing that a "hold" gets placed before the tax verification, I applied for fee waiver. I do not have any sort of document with me to prove that I had worked. They want my 1040 form but I have no idea where to start.

Should I contact the firm I had worked at? What is there that I can do about this?

Not getting my October score back on the 30th would be miserable as hell.

Thanks in advance...

rinkrat19

Re: Fee Waiver "hold" problem

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25 am

iskim88 wrote:Last summer, I had worked as a summer intern at a firm where I had gotten paid about 3-4000 dollars.
I paid taxes during those 10 weeks. After that, I came back to Korea (I'm a US/Korea Dual-citizen BTW).

Without knowing that a "hold" gets placed before the tax verification, I applied for fee waiver. I do not have any sort of document with me to prove that I had worked. They want my 1040 form but I have no idea where to start.

Should I contact the firm I had worked at? What is there that I can do about this?

Not getting my October score back on the 30th would be miserable as hell.

Thanks in advance...

Hmm, how to get a copy of a past year's tax forms? If only there were some sort of plain text internet stuff finder thingy. They could call it a "search engine" :P
Google "get copy of past taxes"
Result: How to get your prior year tax information from the IRS
I have no idea how long it will take, but you have almost a month. And all whining aside, the IRS is actually pretty efficient.
And let this be a lesson on grownup stuff: always keep copies (PDFs are great for this so you don't have to haul papers around the world) of important documents like 1040 tax forms.

If you didn't fill out a 1040 that year (below the income level at which it is required), you can also contact a past employer (HR department if the place is big enough to have one) and they should be able to send you a W2. That's documentation of how much you made and how much in taxes was taken out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”