Content Deleted Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:10 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Re: Do Law Schools Care if I skip last term?

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:13 am

Is this a joke? Of course they don't expect you to pay for meaningless undergrad credits that aren't needed for a degree.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:18 am

No they won't care. The only reason they might is if you are very young, but one extra semester won't really change that. If your GPA isn't great you may want to stay the extra semester to try to boost it before applying.

Re: loans. After you graduate you are given a "grace period" of either 6 or 9 months (I don't remember off the top of my head and it may depend on the type of loan). At the end of the grace period you have to begin making payments. This only applies to federal loans, I have no idea how it works for private loans.

Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Content Deleted

Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Content Deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Moonlight wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:Is this a joke? Of course they don't expect you to pay for meaningless undergrad credits that aren't needed for a degree.
Lol, no. I wanted to be sure because I wouldn't want to leave the wrong impression (i.e. lazy) by not taking the last semester, because I've managed to graduate in under 4 yeras.
Right, because graduating early signifies laziness....

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Moonlight wrote:I'm 20? Does that fall under the very young idea? I have a 3.74/3.78 (cumulative/major) so it's not the world's best but certainly manageable I think.

So for loans, let's say if it is 6 months, then I would be done with school by end of January then I imagine it triggers the grace period then which means I have until August before I need to start making payments. But do you know what I need to do since I will start law school either August (end I presume) or September (beginning I presume). And I have the federal loans for students. I didn't get the Parents Plus thing because I funded my undergrad career on my own.
That does fall under the very young idea, but like I said, I don't think an extra semester will change anything. And it's certainly not worth going into further debt over.

Usually with federal loans you don't have to do anything because the school tells them you're enrolled so they put your loans back in deferment for you. However, sometimes that isn't communicated to them so I would just be proactive and call the loan servicer before the grace period ends to tell them you will be starting school. That way you avoid risk of late payments you didn't know you had to make.

Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Content Deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:27 pm

I think I disagree. If you are very young, you should graduate early and get a job for the semester. Being in college enabler perpetual adolescence. Even half a year of full time (or stable part time) work is massively character building, and (IMHO) a huge boon come OCI, because it proves that you can show up every day at 9am and not make coworkers want to kill you (a surprisingly rare skill)

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:45 pm

SemperLegal wrote:I think I disagree. If you are very young, you should graduate early and get a job for the semester. Being in college enabler perpetual adolescence. Even half a year of full time (or stable part time) work is massively character building, and (IMHO) a huge boon come OCI, because it proves that you can show up every day at 9am and not make coworkers want to kill you (a surprisingly rare skill)
I actually agree with this. I don't think one more (or one less) semester in college will show maturity. Getting a job for that semester is definitely TCR.

And yes, the ABA limit on working is 20 hours/week and most schools highly recommend not working while others outright ban it.

Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Content Deleted

Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Content Deleted

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IrishJew

Bronze

Post by IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Moonlight wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:Is this a joke? Of course they don't expect you to pay for meaningless undergrad credits that aren't needed for a degree.
Lol, no. I wanted to be sure because I wouldn't want to leave the wrong impression (i.e. lazy) by not taking the last semester, because I've managed to graduate in under 4 yeras.
Agree that they won't care if you don't take classes. BUT they will care what you do. If you spend the semester eating nachos and playing with yourself all day in your parents' basement they will not be happy. Find something meaningful or interesting to do. Especially if you are interested in a T-30 school your doing something quirky or constructive after undergrad will make you stand out and add diversity to the class.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:05 pm

TCR = the credited response.

As far as I know as long as you're taking a full load (12 or more units) you cannot work more than 20 hours a week even as a 2L or 3L. That might just be my school though, when I signed up for my 12th unit they made me verify that I knew I couldn't work more than 20 hours. That's for paid work, externships and internships are different.

Yes, externships are internships for credit. Unpaid internships (not for credit) are illegal unless they are at non profits or public/government entities, in which case you're "volunteering." Most people do some kind of work or extern after 1L.

Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Content Deleted

Moonlight

Silver

Content Deleted

Post by Moonlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Content Deleted

IrishJew

Bronze

Post by IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Moonlight wrote: Okay cool. And yea I figured that too. I was thinking of doing a mock trial competition by helping my college co-found its first mock trial team in the early spring and then just working the rest of the time for the two corporations I currently work for. Anything you think would be particularly interesting or worthwhile in engaging that I should?

I've been craving to translate and publish another book. I did the translation for an entire book a couple years back and that was a great experience considering many schools like Stanford and Berkeley have my book in their library.
These all sound like great things. You'l be fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”