South Florida Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BruinRegents

Re: South Florida Schools

Postby BruinRegents » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:56 pm

ganja wrote:So I just spoke with my cousin and he has offered a part time position as a "legal assistant" paying $14/hr. I already accepted and will begin in about two weeks. This comes at a great time since my other job (I work in retail) just cut my full time hours to part time. I guess I'll be getting a first hand look at how this goes!

Congrats.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:08 pm

AT9 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:I would suggest getting an LSAT score that gets you some money at UF/FSU and going there.

TITCR.

If you want Florida, $$$ at UF/FSU or T-14 (and maybe Vandy) are the only ways to go.

I've seen this line quite a bit on TLS, but I'm curious as to why UF is recommended along with FSU as the only non-T-14 options for Florida. For as much as Law School Transparency is valued on here (rightly so, IMO), it would seem that Miami, Stetson, Nova, and FIU are comparable options to UF. I know that UF is widely considered the best university/law school in Florida, but is that all that makes it worthy of being recommended above the other schools with similar employment rates? Is it the quality of jobs or benefit of a UF degree?

This is a genuine question because, like the OP, I'm a Florida resident with connections to the legal market (though no job offer yet). UF and FSU are serious contenders for me.

This is something you'd only understand if you know a lot of lawyers in Florida. I don't know what kind of jobs those schools are reporting, but they can't be good. Their names (apart from Miami) are simply toxic in the serious law world in Florida.

You live in Florida-- you know how much weight the undergrad name at UF carries? It's like that for law school, even if considering job numbers it shouldn't be.

ganja

Postby ganja » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 pm

BruinRegents wrote:
ganja wrote:So I just spoke with my cousin and he has offered a part time position as a "legal assistant" paying $14/hr. I already accepted and will begin in about two weeks. This comes at a great time since my other job (I work in retail) just cut my full time hours to part time. I guess I'll be getting a first hand look at how this goes!

Congrats.

Thanks. But one major question for TLS.. My cousin has been heavily involved with St. Thomas School of Law alumni network and he tells me that the numbers on Law School Transparency are kind of bs. Not because they are inaccurate but because it doesn't look at the whole picture. While the website looks at employment prospects 9 months from graduation, the picture for St. Thomas grads is much better a year to year and half after graduation where "most of the remaining 65% get jobs". Now granted, most of these jobs are paying $30k-$45k (as he admits) but at least it's a legal job. I'd hate to think that my cousin, whom I grew up with as brothers would feed me some bs. I do trust his word but what does TLS say about this?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:21 pm

ganja wrote:
BruinRegents wrote:

Congrats.

Thanks. But one major question for TLS.. My cousin has been heavily involved with St. Thomas School of Law alumni network and he tells me that the numbers on Law School Transparency are kind of bs. Not because they are inaccurate but because it doesn't look at the whole picture. While the website looks at employment prospects 9 months from graduation, the picture for St. Thomas grads is much better a year to year and half after graduation where "most of the remaining 65% get jobs". Now granted, most of these jobs are paying $30k-$45k (as he admits) but at least it's a legal job. I'd hate to think that my cousin, whom I grew up with as brothers would feed me some bs. I do trust his word but what does TLS say about this?

1. Your cousin's argument is based on anecdotal evidence. He is infinitely more likely to engage with St. Thomas alumni who end up eventually working in the legal field because he himself works in the legal field. He does not engage professionally with St. Thomas grads who hang out at the unemployment office or work in a completely different field.
2. Do you really think getting a $30-45k legal job after a year and a half of searching is an acceptable outcome after spending 3 years of your life getting an advanced degree?

ganja

Postby ganja » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:32 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ganja wrote:
BruinRegents wrote:

Congrats.

1. Your cousin's argument is based on anecdotal evidence. He is infinitely more likely to engage with St. Thomas alumni who end up eventually working in the legal field because he himself works in the legal field. He does not engage professionally with St. Thomas grads who hang out at the unemployment office or work in a completely different field.
2. Do you really think getting a $30-45k legal job after a year and a half of searching is an acceptable outcome after spending 3 years of your life getting an advanced degree?

Of course not. But I prefer to roll the dice on St. Thomas and graduate with very little debt rather than take on a six figure debt at U of Miami where most of the grads are working the same quality of jobs.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:34 pm

ganja wrote:Of course not. But I prefer to roll the dice on St. Thomas and graduate with very little debt rather than take on a six figure debt at U of Miami where most of the grads are working the same quality of jobs.

Sure, absolutely. Both schools have terrible employment prospects so you should go for the cheaper option, if you have to choose between the two. But you should actually just retake the LSAT and go to a better school, even if that means sitting out another cycle.

ganja

Postby ganja » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:51 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ganja wrote:Of course not. But I prefer to roll the dice on St. Thomas and graduate with very little debt rather than take on a six figure debt at U of Miami where most of the grads are working the same quality of jobs.

Sure, absolutely. Both schools have terrible employment prospects so you should go for the cheaper option, if you have to choose between the two. But you should actually just retake the LSAT and go to a better school, even if that means sitting out another cycle.

That is something I am considering but I just don't know if I want to do that considering I would be half-assing the study process between working 2 jobs and taking care of a 3 year old kid. If I'm going to do this, the time is now and not fool around on the LSAT studying only to get a marginal improvement on my score at best. Sure, the money won't be as nice as it is now and I'll still have a son to worry about while in law school but the wife just got promoted at her job and will start her new position in a few months. I still have the option to borrow if anything. However, it is still a very real possibility that I am not satisfied with any offer thrown my way this cycle. In that case I'll have almost have no other choice but to retake. Going to LS is something I have wanted to do since high school but in todays world, it has to be at the right price. If I get a substantial tuition discount at St. Thomas as I have been told I would by a few in the admissions office, I'm more than likely going to take it.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:07 pm

ganja wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

That is something I am considering but I just don't know if I want to do that considering I would be half-assing the study process between working 2 jobs and taking care of a 3 year old kid. If I'm going to do this, the time is now and not fool around on the LSAT studying only to get a marginal improvement on my score at best. Sure, the money won't be as nice as it is now and I'll still have a son to worry about while in law school but the wife just got promoted at her job and will start her new position in a few months. I still have the option to borrow if anything. However, it is still a very real possibility that I am not satisfied with any offer thrown my way this cycle. In that case I'll have almost have no other choice but to retake. Going to LS is something I have wanted to do since high school but in todays world, it has to be at the right price. If I get a substantial tuition discount at St. Thomas as I have been told I would by a few in the admissions office, I'm more than likely going to take it.

I understand that you have constraints but it is much easier to study for a few months and do well on the LSAT than it is to do better than 95% of your peers in law school AND get a decent job coming out of a place like St. Thomas. Just saying. If your life is so hectic that you can't give the LSAT the time and dedication it deserves, law school is not going to be any easier.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
AT9 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:I would suggest getting an LSAT score that gets you some money at UF/FSU and going there.

TITCR.

If you want Florida, $$$ at UF/FSU or T-14 (and maybe Vandy) are the only ways to go.

I've seen this line quite a bit on TLS, but I'm curious as to why UF is recommended along with FSU as the only non-T-14 options for Florida. For as much as Law School Transparency is valued on here (rightly so, IMO), it would seem that Miami, Stetson, Nova, and FIU are comparable options to UF. I know that UF is widely considered the best university/law school in Florida, but is that all that makes it worthy of being recommended above the other schools with similar employment rates? Is it the quality of jobs or benefit of a UF degree?

This is a genuine question because, like the OP, I'm a Florida resident with connections to the legal market (though no job offer yet). UF and FSU are serious contenders for me.

This is something you'd only understand if you know a lot of lawyers in Florida. I don't know what kind of jobs those schools are reporting, but they can't be good. Their names (apart from Miami) are simply toxic in the serious law world in Florida.

You live in Florida-- you know how much weight the undergrad name at UF carries? It's like that for law school, even if considering job numbers it shouldn't be.

That's what I figured, it's just strange to have such a discrepancy between its reputation and the employment percentage. I'm ashamed to admit that UF's "prestige" factor in the region (I know it's not prestigious by TLS standards) is what makes me prefer UF over FSU by a comfortable margin, despite the fact that FSU may be a better option right now.

OP, sorry to get off topic here!

ganja

Postby ganja » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:48 pm

AT9 wrote:
AT9 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
TITCR.

That's what I figured, it's just strange to have such a discrepancy between its reputation and the employment percentage. I'm ashamed to admit that UF's "prestige" factor in the region (I know it's not prestigious by TLS standards) is what makes me prefer UF over FSU by a comfortable margin, despite the fact that FSU may be a better option right now.

OP, sorry to get off topic here!

Lol no problem. I hope to get an mba from UF sometime down the line so I can definitely attest to the "prestige" factor here in South Florida

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:21 pm

francesfarmer wrote:If your life is so hectic that you can't give the LSAT the time and dedication it deserves, law school is not going to be any easier.

This.

holysheed

Postby holysheed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 am

ganja wrote:Hello all. Long time lurker and rare poster here but I'm in need of some TLS insight. So I will be going to law school at one of the 4 south FL schools- Nova Southeastern University, St. Thomas University, University of Miami and Florida International University(I know, not the most desirable market or law school pickings but I have to sacrifice for my wife and child as we have lived here all our lives and she has a steady job down here). I have a cousin who graduated from St . Thomas back in 2005, just started his own firm, doing quite well and has offered me a job upon completion of my degree. Now because none of these schools are very desirable, I'm probably going to the school that makes the most financial sense. I am resident of FL so FIU tuition comes at a pretty nice discount and because of my wife's job, my COL won't be too much so my main expenses would be tuition, books and transportation. Is there any chance at a full ride at any of these schools (mainly St. Thomas-75th percentiles 3.3/150 and Nova-75th percentiles 3.5/153)? My numbers are 3.81/153 non-urm and I already maxed out on lsat attempts and not waiting yet another cycle (already sat out two). Advice is much appreciated thanks!

153 won't get you any scholly's at FIU. You'll likely be paying sticker price there even with the GPA. From what it looks like, they wan't to get their median LSAT score up.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:17 am

Necroing terrible threads should be bannable. How do these people even find these ancient topics?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”