touring a school when accepted

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2014entering2014

touring a school when accepted

Postby 2014entering2014 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:14 pm

When I tour a school after I'm accepted, what are the best practices?

i.e. things I should specifically be looking for, good people/offices to meet with and what to ask, reading between the lines, etc.
also, the schools i've been accepted to have said that I will meet with the Dean of Admissions...what is meeting the Dean like, once you've been accepted? I've met with Deans for admissions interviews, but never at this point.

Thanks guys (:

hephaestus

Re: touring a school when accepted

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:17 pm

2014entering2014 wrote:When I tour a school after I'm accepted, what are the best practices?

i.e. things I should specifically be looking for, good people/offices to meet with and what to ask, reading between the lines, etc.
also, the schools i've been accepted to have said that I will meet with the Dean of Admissions...what is meeting the Dean like, once you've been accepted? I've met with Deans for admissions interviews, but never at this point.

Thanks guys (:

You are already accepted, so ask about whatever you want (e.g. employment, tuition increases, stipulations, whatever else). Also try to talk to 2Ls and 3Ls that are not part of the admissions machine. They will be more honest/helpful.

2014entering2014

Postby 2014entering2014 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:22 pm

do you think that, when I meet with the Dean, they're using any of the interaction as a basis for scholarship decisions? a.k.a kind of a like a scholarship interview

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:51 pm

2014entering2014 wrote:do you think that, when I meet with the Dean, they're using any of the interaction as a basis for scholarship decisions? a.k.a kind of a like a scholarship interview

It could play into it if they come away with a strongly positive or negative impression of you.

At this point, you know they want you. The Dean is more worried about selling you on the school than on judging you, because she already has and found you passed the bar. Go in, ask questions that you want answers to, and - as someone else said - talk with people who aren't a part of the admissions machine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”