Absent LSATs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wannabejag

Absent LSATs

Postby wannabejag » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 am

Ok...bottom line up front, I have 5 absent LSAT appointment.

I was naïve originally and did not realize that those get reported along with cancels, however I feel I can explain it.

I was military and kept getting deployed. Because LSAC registration dates are so ridiculous I would register, then the next week I had a surprise trip to Iraq, or Kuwait, or Afghanistan and this happened 4 times. Every time I tried military duties just got in the way, there was too much going on in the world.

One test date I had food poisoning so bad I had to vomit every time I stood up.

Now...the wars are over, I am a reservist again, I feel if I register in December I would be there.

How big of a problem do I have with adcoms who are going to see 5 Absent, and one score, even if I write a pretty addendum about my military service.

My UGPA is 3.15. I have a MBA with a 3.3 from Texas A&M.

rinkrat19

Re: Absent LSATs

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:20 am

Since most of them were military, you'll PROBABLY be okay with a well-written addendum listing the dates of your deployments and how they interfered with each of the testing dates. But they may still wonder why you didn't properly cancel all those times. It's really impossible to predict how it'll affect your chances.

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:37 am

And...while its probably not the best answer, the truthful answer is I was just simply unaware of the adverse effects and the difference in "properly cancelling".

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:44 pm

I will try to reserve comment and just second what's already been said: I imagine schools won't care, as long as you explain your situation.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:41 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I will try to reserve comment and just second what's already been said: I imagine schools won't care, as long as you explain your situation.

This.

While I'm of the camp that, to a person who knows the ins-and-outs of LSAC policies, an absence can look bad, I've also talked to plenty of people who sit on admissions committees that didn't even know there was a difference between a cancel an an absence. Couple that with your legitimate reasons for it, and I wouldn't worry too much.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”