How much does your matter degree matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ywan1990

How much does your matter degree matter?

Postby ywan1990 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Guys, so basically I will be taking LSAT in two days' time. Now I am in the top 160 range but I am sure that with some more practice I will be able to hit 170+ (my main issue is endurance while I have no problem with the most tricks and stuff). So given that I am aiming for the top14, the conventional wisdom on TLS seems to suggest that I should postpone. (to trade for a few more marks)

Now here comes the awkward part. My graduate exams result will be released next month and I am quite sure it would be quite negative on my application. I am wondering how much weight the law schools will give to it. Also, in light of this issue shall I take LSAT now so that I can submit my application before I get my graduate result or shall I postpone the exam until December (in the hope that my higher lsat score would compensate for my graduate programme scores)?

And FYI, I have a first class degree for my undergrad from a top british uni.

Thanks

ScottRiqui

Re: How much does your matter degree matter?

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:37 pm

The schools will barely care that you have a graduate degree, much less what the GPA is. If you're confident that you'd score several points higher in December than you would on Saturday, then I'd wait and take the LSAT later.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Graduate degree GPAs are practically meaningless with regard to law school admissions

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Grad GPA's are inflated as fuck.

ywan1990

Postby ywan1990 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks a lot guys for your replies. That gives me a huge relief. I've been painfully dithering for the past few days....

banjo

Postby banjo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:17 am

Two questions:

(1) Why can't you send your transcripts to LSAC right now and take the LSAT later? I don't understand why those two steps have to be completed concurrently. LSAC will presumably process your transcripts without your graduate marks. Is there an ethical issue here?

(2) How bad are they going to be? Could raise eyebrows at HYS.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:01 am

I believe you're required to submit updated transcripts as new grades become available. If your grades are coming out next month, then you probably can't expect a decision before they do, even with the October LSAT. So it's really a moot point.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”