Re-applying for 2013

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dnptan

Re-applying for 2013

Postby dnptan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am

Hi All!

I need some advice on how to market myself this year. I was WLd at Harvard last round and I waited it out to see if I can get in this year. My old stats:

170/3.82 - Boston University
Engineering/Biology double Major
Work in Intellectual Property Consulting (First year)
Co-founded a startup (which failed)

Wrote my PS on my startup
Applied at the deadline

----

Now with my 2nd year at IP consulting, I was wondering what I should write about for my PS - I'm 100% sure I should write a new one. Should I focus on my experience at the IP firm?

Also, I am giving a guest lecture at my University on intellectual property and how it affects engineers, sponsored by my company. How should I put this on my CV? Is this a strong soft for a fresh grad (I'm 22)?

One more: I'm wondering if I should get a Rec Letter from my volunteer-work supervisor, we have a very solid relationship. I volunteer as a city guide/liaison for Hosteling International, a non-profit with ties to UNESCO.

Thanks for your time.

Oh slightly off-topic: what's the view on applying to schools that accepted you last cycle but you withdrew?

Winston1984

Re: Re-applying for 2013

Postby Winston1984 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Are you retaking? Honestly I think that is the only way you are going to get in this year.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 pm

First off, Sucks to BU!
-Signed, BC class of '06

dnptan wrote:My old stats:
170/3.82 - Boston University

You say old stats - do you have a new LSAT? If not, that is, by far, the best way to improve your chances at changing an admissions decisions from last year. So much so that it's going to be hard to get in without a new LSAT.

Now with my 2nd year at IP consulting, I was wondering what I should write about for my PS - I'm 100% sure I should write a new one. Should I focus on my experience at the IP firm?

You want to make sure it's a strong essay. Other than that, it's wide open. If you think the start-up essay is stronger, rewrite on that topic. If you think you can write something strong on your experience at the IP firm, go for it.

Also, I am giving a guest lecture at my University on intellectual property and how it affects engineers, sponsored by my company. How should I put this on my CV? Is this a strong soft for a fresh grad (I'm 22)?

You can definitely include that as work experience. It would hold more weight if your UG wasn't BU :-P (I promise, that's my last slight against BU - and I fully expect to get a few back from you!).

It's a decent soft, but nothing game-changing. Definitely something to include on your resume, however.

One more: I'm wondering if I should get a Rec Letter from my volunteer-work supervisor, we have a very solid relationship. I volunteer as a city guide/liaison for Hosteling International, a non-profit with ties to UNESCO.

Thanks for your time.

It'd be a good third letter to submit in case of a waitlisting, but an academic letter would be stronger for a first-round letter.

Oh slightly off-topic: what's the view on applying to schools that accepted you last cycle but you withdrew?

You might (MIGHT) want to include an essay about why law school is right for you this time around. They're going to assume that last year either:
1) You were waitlisted at your first choice and decided to reapply (which is the case); or
2) Something big happened in your life to cause you to postpone law school; or
3) You weren't sure about this whole law school thing to begin with.

If you have the numbers (which your previous acceptance suggests you do), the decisions at most places probably won't change.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Your softs are nice, but you really need to retake for a 173, as others have pointed out. I do not see anything else making a game-changing difference.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I'll respect your opinion once BC beats us in Hockey.

Lol I love this faux rivalry. My brother-in-law went to BC and it's pretty much how we say hi to each other. Oh, and to add, I am retaking. That's why I put "old", but it's my bad that I didn't explicitly say I was retaking. My PT scores range from 169-176, but I'm averaging 173. That said, I don't like using PTs as a gauge of how well I'll actually do. There's also December.

Thanks for the advice guys. Should I add the letter or flyer confirming I'm giving the guest lec? Or is that douchy?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:51 pm

are you URM?

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:53 pm

No, I'm a non-US citizen :(

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:34 pm

dnptan wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Should I add the letter or flyer confirming I'm giving the guest lec? Or is that douchy?

Nah, don't worry about that. Law schools take you at your word unless they have a reason to question it.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

You should write a new PS for all schools you're re-applying to, but make sure the old information is still in your new app somewhere. KB said not to assume schools will pull your old app (though they should if they ask if you're a reapplicant!).

On an unrelated topic, I have been wondering for a while what your avatar is. It kind of creeps me out.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:55 pm

bp shinners wrote:
dnptan wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Should I add the letter or flyer confirming I'm giving the guest lec? Or is that douchy?

Nah, don't worry about that. Law schools take you at your word unless they have a reason to question it.

Yes I would not send it since they will likely believe you anyway and it may come off as odd/bragging to send it.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Anxiously waiting for the results of the Oct LSAT - hopefully I can nab a 173 so I won't have to re-take on December.

Also my avatar is a sea slug:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaucus_atlanticus

It's bad-ass and eats Portuguese man o' wars.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”