NASA engineering internship- good soft?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2nd.derivative

NASA engineering internship- good soft?

Postby 2nd.derivative » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 am

Background:
*Electrical Engineering major with > 3.95 GPA.

*Starting second year of undergrad, but have junior status due to summer classes and AP's.

*Strongly interested in patent law.

*Can't stand another round of summer classes, so looking at summer internships.

When I was looking at the internships available, I found NASA recruits for interns at my school. Compared to interning for a big-name corporation (Toyota, Marathon, etc) or an engineering specialty company (I.E, XILINX), would the NASA internship look better on a law school application?

ETA:
Not a minority. Don't have any URM status.

John Winger

Re: NASA engineering internship- good soft?

Postby John Winger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 am

I would do it just so I could say I worked for NASA, irregardless of anything to do with law admissions. You have a stellar GPA. I certainly think this would not do any damage to your "softs." Go intern for NASA. That is bad ass IMO.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 am

A an engineer/geek myself, a NASA internship sounds freaking awesome. (Although since you're just a sophomore/junior, I assume your actual substantive work would be pretty minimal.) And I would bet that a NASA internship sounds better on a resume to a layperson/nongeek (e.g most lawyers) than an internship at Toyota or whatever, just because of the name, even if both may be pretty equivalent once you actually get there.

I'd bet money you'd get asked about it in your legal job search interviews, because a lot of interviewers zero in on whatever unique thing they see when glancing over your resume to make conversation.

tl;dr: Go for it.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:10 pm

+1 to all of the above.

Not to mention it would be worth it for many reasons outside of law school (or even the entire legal field) factors.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Do the internship. Keep that GPA up, it gets much tougher your Jr/Sr year (depends on school, but generally in Engineering). IP law requires a broad range of experience and the more diverse your portfolio, the better your chances are of entering the IP industry.

Source: I am an Engineer working in Intellectual Property Consulting

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Definitely do it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”