Question about drinking citations

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Question about drinking citations

Postby 5678 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 am

When I was in college I received a ticket for underage drinking. Is this something I need to list on my applications? For what it's worth I've been through two federal background checks and neither have turned it up so I'm a little hesitant to list it if it's not going to show up for any future background check.

TheSpanishMain

Re: Question about drinking citations

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:23 am

What do you mean, "a ticket"? Like a citation from the actual police or just a warning from the RA?

Either way, I would say go ahead and list it. It's such a minor thing, and so common, that it won't have the slightest effect on your application.

Postby 5678 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:46 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:What do you mean, "a ticket"? Like a citation from the actual police or just a warning from the RA?

Either way, I would say go ahead and list it. It's such a minor thing, and so common, that it won't have the slightest effect on your application.

Yeah it was from a cop. Equivalent to a traffic ticket.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Just disclose. No one will care.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:20 pm

5678 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:What do you mean, "a ticket"? Like a citation from the actual police or just a warning from the RA?

Yeah it was from a cop. Equivalent to a traffic ticket.

There's very little downside to disclosing it; there's a potentially huge downside to not disclosing it.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:41 pm

I had one, I disclosed it to be on the safe side. Still got into law school. Although I've yet to see if the Bar cares, I've heard they don't. Likely better to be truthful and disclose.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”