Early Decision - Below Median LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
grungy89

Early Decision - Below Median LSAT

Postby grungy89 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:27 pm

Is it safe to assume that most, if not all, ED Admits are to applicants above the median? I know schools admit below the median but does that usually happen late in the Spring when few seats remain? I ask because I applied ED to the school that would be best for me financially, but I am beneath the median LSAT and was wondering if I just set myself up to be wait-listed...?

banjo

Re: Early Decision - Below Median LSAT

Postby banjo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:41 pm

grungy89 wrote:I applied ED to the school that would be best for me financially

I'm just going to assume you mean Northwestern and say that yes, being below the medians, especially the LSAT median, doesn't bode well.

If you applied ED anywhere else and you're not a splitter, you've made a mistake. Ask to switch to RD.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:44 pm

NU is the only current "competitive ED". Meaning you need to have a higher score to get the ED than to gain admittance, because it comes with that fatty scholly.

Other EDs are more for the splitter (think UVA ED). Someone did the numbers on where the ED matters/helps/etc. I forget who but the data is neat.

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Yeah, I figured as much. I was actually referring to Texas-Austin. I'm under median LSAT there by six or so points depending on where you get the info, but I have seen graphs showing people with my numbers getting accepted there, but probably last minute and late in the summer.

For what it's worth...this year UT-Austin has Binding ED which I would assume helps? applicants with lower stats who would willingly go with no $$$ offer. Binding decisions rarely offer $, right?

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Just retake, apply RD, go to UT with $$$. Succeeding in law school is SO much harder than retaking the LSAT. You get minimal feedback on how you're doing, everyone has the same books/supplements/tips, everyone has the same deadlines, and everyone works really hard. It's like standing up at a concert to see better. Everybody does it, no one sees any better, and everyone's legs hurt at the end.

Take the time you need now to master the LSAT and give yourself a little room to screw up in law school, because you'll need that cushion.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Definitely retake, UT isn't worth sticker. And if you have a 160 you're almost certainly not getting in unless maybe you're a URM.

All signs point to retake

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:40 pm

I wasn't asking for advice on an LSAT retake, guys. I took it in Feb. 2012, so way beyond being in LSAT mode ( in Madden 25,Mean Green, Dallas Cowboys watching mode for the rest of the year)at this point. I have been accepted elsewhere for Spring 2013 ( not saying where, don't know if these forums get snooped on, but you can probably guess where as Texas only has two Spring start schools) but knowing that I could go to UT for free (Hazlewood Act) and that early decision guarantees a decision by Dec. 31st, I thought I might try my luck. I was just hoping for some input on to whether to expect early decision reject, waitlist, or any chance of acceptance because they know its a binding decision and don't have to offer any scholarship.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:14 pm

If its for freesies and you want to work in Texas above all else and have ties then UT is definitely the place to be. Now you've just got to retake so that you can secure a spot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”