Late decision to apply this year, information please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
batesc14

New

Late decision to apply this year, information please

Post by batesc14 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:35 pm

Im a senior this year majoring in Biochemistry at a respected liberal arts University, I only have a 3.1 gpa. I have been really set on getting my M.S in organic synthesis chemistry and possibly working in the industry for a few years, then attending law school to become a patent attorney. I was under the impression that an M.S. would open up a lot of opportunities, but it is becoming more clear that an advanced chem degree only really matters if it is a phd. Also, I am more interested in doing patent litigation and apparently a science degree isn't even totally necessary for litigation.
That said, I decided to take a practice lsat today to see if I would score competitively. I got a 167 with no practice, my main trouble was finishing the logic puzzles in time. Realistically what would someone guess that I could improve that to if I study nonstop until a test in December? And what type of score would I need to get for my 3.1 to be competitive at a top school like Georgetown, GWU, or UW?
Any advice or information would be helpful, I ordered the powerscore bibles and a bunch of practice tests.

phillywc

Gold

Re: Late decision to apply this year, information please

Post by phillywc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:46 pm

1.) This didn't need two threads
2.) Don't apply this year unless you can get your score into the 170s by December.
3.) 3.1 in hard science/17x probably gets all 3 of those schools. Maybe even a pretty solid scholly to GWU. That said, aim higher. 172+ should get you Northwestern, especially if you cop that work expereince
4.) Seriously go get some WE

batesc14

New

Post by batesc14 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:58 pm

1)Sorry that was my first time posting I didnt mean to do that.
2) Ok I was hoping that my gpa wouldn't be that bad because my classes were harder. I am hopeful that I can improve up to about 172...how much improvement is typical with specific lsat studying? I am sure that there are really useful strategies for all the logic games, that was my major holdup. What kind of score would you guess I would need to have chance at Stanford or Berkeley?
3) go get some what?

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:01 am

batesc14 wrote:1)Sorry that was my first time posting I didnt mean to do that.
2) Ok I was hoping that my gpa wouldn't be that bad because my classes were harder. I am hopeful that I can improve up to about 172...how much improvement is typical with specific lsat studying? I am sure that there are really useful strategies for all the logic games, that was my major holdup. What kind of score would you guess I would need to have chance at Stanford or Berkeley?
3) go get some what?
No shot at Stanford/Berkley. They are GPA whores. Not even with a 180. However, starting at 167 you do have a decent shot at a score in the high 170s, which would net you tons of good schools (if medians keep dropping, you'll probably nab at least one of MVP), or maybe WUSTL/GW with a good scholly.

WE-work experience

batesc14

New

Post by batesc14 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:05 am

Ok good to know, thanks. That's what I figured, my friend told me that I could get into Stanford with a 173 and I told him he was insane.
I am doing chemistry research right now, but you're right I should get something law-oriented immediately. What sort of position would be the most valuable?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:09 am

batesc14 wrote:Ok good to know, thanks. That's what I figured, my friend told me that I could get into Stanford with a 173 and I told him he was insane.
I am doing chemistry research right now, but you're right I should get something law-oriented immediately. What sort of position would be the most valuable?
Really doesn't have to be law, just something paid, full time, post graduation, and "real world". I work paid and full time but it really barely counts as WE because i'm still in UG and its retail.

If you can get a job in Chemistry, that's probably better then some low level law job, and has the benefit of not being shit if you decide law isn't for you/bomb the lsat/whatever.

batesc14

New

Post by batesc14 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:16 am

So how much do law schools really consider WE? Most people I have talked to make it seem like it is almost exclusively gpa and lsat scores. Like I said I am doing research, and I just made the decision to start studying for the lsat 10 weeks before I take it. It almost seems more worthwhile for me to just study the lsat obsessively for the next two months and score as high as possible, instead of getting a full time job that they may or may not really care about?

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:24 am

batesc14 wrote:So how much do law schools really consider WE? Most people I have talked to make it seem like it is almost exclusively gpa and lsat scores. Like I said I am doing research, and I just made the decision to start studying for the lsat 10 weeks before I take it. It almost seems more worthwhile for me to just study the lsat obsessively for the next two months and score as high as possible, instead of getting a full time job that they may or may not really care about?
I was saying if you don't do as well as you want on the LSAT, take a year off, work and get experience and retake the LSAT over going to a subpar school at sticker.

Some schools really do consider it (notably Northwestern, which is also splitter friendly and has great job numbers) but your LSAT will trump almost everything.

BruinRegents

Bronze

Post by BruinRegents » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:46 am

batesc14 wrote:So how much do law schools really consider WE? Most people I have talked to make it seem like it is almost exclusively gpa and lsat scores. Like I said I am doing research, and I just made the decision to start studying for the lsat 10 weeks before I take it. It almost seems more worthwhile for me to just study the lsat obsessively for the next two months and score as high as possible, instead of getting a full time job that they may or may not really care about?
It feels like you're rushing your application and that's never a good idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:04 am

I wouldn't try to apply this cycle. A rushed app never helped anyone, and you already have one strike against you with the low (albeit STEM) gpa.

Aim for June LSAT, or February if you don't want to wait that long. Then get good apps together and apply as soon as they open in Sept. Get a job to save money or just go travel or do whatever until school. Obv job will look better come OCI.

BruinRegents

Bronze

Post by BruinRegents » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:08 am

rebexness wrote:
I wouldn't try to apply this cycle. A rushed app never helped anyone, and you already have one strike against you with the low (albeit STEM) gpa.

Aim for June LSAT, or February if you don't want to wait that long. Then get good apps together and apply as soon as they open in Sept. Get a job to save money or just go travel or do whatever until school. Obv job will look better come OCI.
+1

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:59 am

Another vote for take a year off and work. If you work a professional job for a year or two (delivering pizzas probably doesn't count) it'll provide a decent boost to your application. As you said, it won't outweigh GPA or LSAT, but it helps. It'll certainly distinguish your resume from everyone who went straight from undergrad. It'll also make your resume more attractive to potential employers post-law school, even if the experience has zero to do with law. Finally, it'll give you a chance to be an adult in the real world and decide if you really want to be a lawyer.

Don't worry, you wouldn't be behind or anything. It is VERY common for people not to go straight from undergrad to law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”