When is a good time to get a fee waiver?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kek5250

When is a good time to get a fee waiver?

Postby kek5250 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:29 pm

This may be a misguided question, and feel free to tell me if it is, but I received merit based fee waivers from UVA, Penn, and Columbia this week and I am curious as to whether or not this is considered late in the game to be given application fee waivers. I've been told that getting them earlier than later is an indication that the school is actually interested; is this true? Is september considered late for these? Is it possible that these schools are actually interested or just trying to inflate their selectivity stats?

My numbers are
3.72 (including study abroad grades that weren't transferred properly- should be a 3.86 after that semester is removed. I have a letter to this effect from the director of my study abroad program)

t-14orbust

Re: When is a good time to get a fee waiver?

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:32 pm

No

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Apps opened like 2 weeks ago. How could applying now possibly be considered late? Schools will send even more waivers after the next two LSAT administrations.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:43 pm

kek5250 wrote:3.72 (including study abroad grades that weren't transferred properly- should be a 3.86 after that semester is removed. I have a letter to this effect from the director of my study abroad program)

Just wanted to say that you might want to have only guarded hopes those will be removed. I'm not 100% sure of the situation, but just because they should have been removed from your undergrad transcript doesn't mean that LSAC will also feel they should be removed from their calculations.

To the original question, no, you shouldn't read anything negative into it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”