Does it hurt me if I am accepted then reapply later?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IMBSDTX

Does it hurt me if I am accepted then reapply later?

Postby IMBSDTX » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 pm

I am pretty sure that I will be attending law school in a few years (but not 100%) so I was planning on applying to schools now. If I apply to a school and choose not to attend next year, does it hurt me when I reapply down the road? How substantially would I have to change my personal statement or letters of rec?

On a somewhat related note, if I accept a full time job offer during my cycle, but before I am admitted, is it better to withdraw before decisions are made or are schools ok with deferring? Does it make a difference if I'm admitted off of the waitlist?

midwest17

Re: Does it hurt me if I am accepted then reapply later?

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Most schools will defer you for a year if you have a good reason. Some will defer you for two years, or allow you to re-defer when your year runs up.

Ask admissions offices at the schools you want to apply to.

hiltopp01

Postby hiltopp01 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 pm

IMBSDTX wrote:I am pretty sure that I will be attending law school in a few years (but not 100%) so I was planning on applying to schools now. If I apply to a school and choose not to attend next year, does it hurt me when I reapply down the road? How substantially would I have to change my personal statement or letters of rec?

On a somewhat related note, if I accept a full time job offer during my cycle, but before I am admitted, is it better to withdraw before decisions are made or are schools ok with deferring? Does it make a difference if I'm admitted off of the waitlist?

Why not just apply when you're ready?

BlueGiraffe

Postby BlueGiraffe » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:25 am

hiltopp01 wrote:
IMBSDTX wrote:I am pretty sure that I will be attending law school in a few years (but not 100%) so I was planning on applying to schools now. If I apply to a school and choose not to attend next year, does it hurt me when I reapply down the road? How substantially would I have to change my personal statement or letters of rec?

Why not just apply when you're ready?

Getting a job in this economy isn't exactly a certain thing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”