UC Admissions - In State vs. Out of State

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Quick Silver

UC Admissions - In State vs. Out of State

Postby Quick Silver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm sure it's been asked before, but any definitive info in In-State Vs Out-State admissions for UC Law Schools? Esp Berkeley/UCLA?

I understand that they have incentive for out-of-staters for higher tuition - at least for the 1st year, but what about.

I also understand admissions types will probably give non-answers, but does anyone have good/clear info?

ie A comparison of acceptance rates between IS and OS.

Thanks!

Dr. Dre

Re: UC Admissions - In State vs. Out of State

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:04 pm

don't go to uc irvine

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Not sure if they have a specific policy, but the class breakdown for UC's as I understand it is 70% In-state and 30% out of state (with probably wiggle room from 65-75% in state 25-35% out of state). I can say for sure one UC this year has that breakdown. Again, not sure if they actively recruit one over the other, or if its more of a higher interest for those students who are instate than those who are out of state. I would assume the latter especially since alot of top schools are on the east coast, and berkeley and UCLA just don't have enough attraction to draw students from Penn or Cornell.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Not sure if they have a specific policy, but the class breakdown for UC's as I understand it is 70% In-state and 30% out of state (with probably wiggle room from 65-75% in state 25-35% out of state). I can say for sure one UC this year has that breakdown. Again, not sure if they actively recruit one over the other, or if its more of a higher interest for those students who are instate than those who are out of state. I would assume the latter especially since alot of top schools are on the east coast, and berkeley and UCLA just don't have enough attraction to draw students from Penn or Cornell.

That's definitely not an official policy. Here's what Berkeley's website says:

Do in-state applicants have higher preference than those from out of state?
You have a roughly equal chance of being admitted regardless of your residency. We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents.

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks to all responders -

I guess I'm wondering if it's more advantageous to apply in-state (more likely spots?) or out of state (UC needs higher tuition).

No disrespect, but I'm skeptical of official info from Admission's offices on such matters.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Quick Silver wrote:Thanks to all responders -

I guess I'm wondering if it's more advantageous to apply in-state (more likely spots?) or out of state (UC needs higher tuition).

No disrespect, but I'm skeptical of official info from Admission's offices on such matters.

I'd believe hard stats from admissions offices ("we accept an equal number of in-state and out-of-state students") and be skeptical about more ambiguous things ("you have a roughly equal chance of being admitted regardless of your residency.")

What I'm confused about, though, is why this is a such an important question for you. I suspect your residency is what it is at this point. Even if there is a benefit one way or the other, it's not going to be worth uprooting your life over so that you can apply as either in/out of state. And you definitely shouldn't lie about your residency when you apply.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Quick Silver wrote:Thanks to all responders -

To be honest, you could apply with the opinion you are instate only to find out you don't qualify. Now that I think about it, even though I stated I was in-state, I had to provide verification after I was accepted. So, I do believe them when they say they do not have a preference, I just think more CA residents are interested in attending these schools than out of state residents.

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 pm

I moved to CA from out of state this year and can qualify for residency - just wondering if it's advantageous either way.

regarding you're point about the Admission Office quote - I wonder how they get from 65/35 if they admit an equal number - if that's true ie Do a larger proportion of OS turn down the offers?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Quick Silver wrote:regarding you're point about the Admission Office quote - I wonder how they get from 65/35 if they admit an equal number - if that's true ie Do a larger proportion of OS turn down the offers?

Where are you getting 65/35?

I suspect their yield numbers are larger for in-state students, yes.

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:56 pm

I'm getting 65/35 as IS/OS breakdown approximation that Dmini cited.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Quick Silver wrote:I'm getting 65/35 as IS/OS breakdown approximation that Dmini cited.

And where is he getting it?

That may be accurate for some UC schools, but based on the bit from Berkeley's site that I quoted, I suspect their breakdown is much closer to 50/50.

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Good point ;-)

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:34 am

midwest17 wrote:
Quick Silver wrote:I'm getting 65/35 as IS/OS breakdown approximation that Dmini cited.

And where is he getting it?

That may be accurate for some UC schools, but based on the bit from Berkeley's site that I quoted, I suspect their breakdown is much closer to 50/50.

I stated its true for one of the two schools he listed. and it was a 70/30 split this year

http://www.law.ucla.edu/about-ucla-scho ... facts.aspx

I find it hard to imagine Berkeley is not similar. They are both public schools part of the UC system. They don't have money to blow to recruit a ton of out of staters and make it affordable for them. I highly doubt its a 50/50, but maybe you are right. I will try to find more information on previous years of Cal, but until/if I do, we can assume you are right.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37 am

midwest17 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Not sure if they have a specific policy, but the class breakdown for UC's as I understand it is 70% In-state and 30% out of state (with probably wiggle room from 65-75% in state 25-35% out of state). I can say for sure one UC this year has that breakdown. Again, not sure if they actively recruit one over the other, or if its more of a higher interest for those students who are instate than those who are out of state. I would assume the latter especially since alot of top schools are on the east coast, and berkeley and UCLA just don't have enough attraction to draw students from Penn or Cornell.

That's definitely not an official policy. Here's what Berkeley's website says:

Do in-state applicants have higher preference than those from out of state?
You have a roughly equal chance of being admitted regardless of your residency. We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents.

More out of states will turn them down because Cal just does not have the money to fight with other peer schools. Furthermore, they state they strive to have majority of residents. I don't think they mean that in the sense of 51-49, but I could be wrong.

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:46 am

Great point Dmini7 - by majority of residents they probably mean more than 51 pct

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 am

Quick Silver wrote:Great point Dmini7 - by majority of residents they probably mean more than 51 pct

I meant it to be more than in the 50's, but rather near the 60's-70s. But Berkeley is not very forthcoming with their information on the breakdown of the school profile. I wonder if anyone currently there could help shed light on the situation. Either way, if I were you, and you think you qualify for in-state, apply as in-state. Most other top schools are private anyways. Unless you live in VA and want to go to UVA, I don't see why you shouldn't apply for state residency.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:15 am

Dmini7 wrote:I find it hard to imagine Berkeley is not similar. They are both public schools part of the UC system. They don't have money to blow to recruit a ton of out of staters and make it affordable for them. I highly doubt its a 50/50, but maybe you are right. I will try to find more information on previous years of Cal, but until/if I do, we can assume you are right.

A few things to consider: Berkeley is a significantly stronger school, with much better national placement. That's going to do a lot to attract out-of-state students. Also, out-of-state students aren't necessarily any more expensive to recruit than in-state students are. Even California students who are competitive at Berkeley are going to be competitive elsewhere in the T-14, so Berkeley is going to be competing against a similar set of schools. They may get a bit of a bonus from in-state students who want to stay in California and so are willing to pay more to attend Berkeley than a peer school, but I suspect that effect is limited.

It's also worth noting that on the bottom end of their distribution, where they're not offering scholarships, it's actually slightly more expensive to accept in-state students, since all in-state students get an automatic ~$4,000/year scholarship, effectively.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”