Addendum - let go from job/speeding tickets

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
garrettnicole92

Addendum - let go from job/speeding tickets

Postby garrettnicole92 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:08 am

Okay, feel free to direct me to other topics if these questions have already been answered.

1. On C&F questions, when you're asked about traffic citations excluding parking violations, I'm assuming speeding tickets are included in this category? If so, am I supposed to write an addendum? It seems kind of pointless to say "I received a citation for going X in a X and paid the fine within a week" but is that what they want?

2. I was let go/fired from a waitressing job in April. I'm assuming that at least a few applications will want me to disclose this and write an addendum. Since my state is an "at will employment" state, they didn't have to disclose the reason for letting me go, although there were some weird circumstances that lead me to think I know why. It hasn't prevented me from getting another job either. How exactly should I go about writing that addendum?

TheSpanishMain

Re: Addendum - let go from job/speeding tickets

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:17 pm

As far as the speeding tickets, I think what you wrote is fine. "On (date), I was ticketed in (City, State) for speeding. I paid the required fine by mail." seems adequate.

garrettnicole92

Postby garrettnicole92 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks, that's what I did for the tickets. As far as being let go from my job, this is what I wrote:

I was let go from a waitressing job at [Employer] in [City] in April 2013. I was unable to make a shift at work because of a conflict with an event for class that I was in, and I called my supervisor ahead of time to let her know that I would not be able to make it. At the time I was unaware that I had any strikes against me, but when I came in for my next shift at work I was informed that not only had I missed a shift at work, but a member had complained about the service I provided them. That was the third strike and I was let go. I realize in retrospect that the whole ordeal stemmed from a lack of communication on both my part, for not explaining my class schedule clearly enough, and on the company’s part, for not communicating to me that there had been an issue with the service I provided so that I could actively work to improve how I did my job. It was an unfortunate situation and I realize now that it was bound to end in a parting of ways and my employer simply took action first. I have definitely learned from the experience and will be much more careful in the future. Thankfully this has not kept me from getting another job. I am currently working for [Company] and none of my other employers have ever expressed having an issue with my work performance.

Is this sufficient or too much detail?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:21 pm

garrettnicole92 wrote:Thanks, that's what I did for the tickets. As far as being let go from my job, this is what I wrote:

Is this sufficient or too much detail?

Too much detail, sounds too much like you're blaming the employer. Also, if you're going to mention that there were three strikes and explicitly state what two of them were, you should state what the third one was.

Anyways, I'd suggest something like "I was let go from a waitressing job at [Employer] in [City] in April 2013 after a customer complaint and missing a shift at work. I have worked hard not to repeat these mistakes in my current employment at [Company]."

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 am

Way too much detail. Actually quit reading 3/4ths of the way through it cuz you started to sound like you were blaming the employer. Also, I wouldn't mention anything about it being the result of 3 strikes. Just say the two that resulted in it, but don't mention the point system

Postby 20141023 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:39 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:42 am

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:53 am

Oh please. You don't have to justify any of that stuff! If anyone asks, it happened because you take life by the horns and go hard. 8)

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:31 am

garrettnicole92 wrote:I'm assuming that at least a few applications will want me to disclose this and write an addendum.

kappycaft1 wrote:Wait a minute you all... Why the hell would you ever disclose why you were let go from a job on law school applications if it wasn't for some sort of criminal offense (sexual harassment, etc.)? The only thing schools ask is from when to when you worked; they don't ask why you left jobs / changed jobs / etc. I think it would be a big mistake to point out the fact that you were laid off... If you don't divulge the information, I think the assumption is that you simply voluntarily left the position to seek better employment opportunities elsewhere. :|

If there are schools that ask for this sort of addenda, which schools are they? (I don't remember seeing anything like this on the applications of the top 18 schools in the USNWR.)

I think OP knows not to disclose unless it's asked for. If by some chance some school does ask for it, this doesn't deserve more than 2-3 sentences.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:37 am

kappycaft1 wrote:If there are schools that ask for this sort of addenda, which schools are they? (I don't remember seeing anything like this on the applications of the top 18 schools in the USNWR.)

I vaguely remember seeing "Have you ever been terminated from employment..." type questions on a few schools in the 20-30 range, but I can't remember which ones.

garrettnicole92

Postby garrettnicole92 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks guys, I'll cut it down to the bare bones explanation. A couple of the schools I'm applying to ask about termination/dismissal from employment and yes, they are in the 20-30 range.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”