Early App or Better PS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheMostDangerousLG

Early App or Better PS?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:01 am

For the top 6 schools, which would you recommend: submitting my app earlier, or submitting my app a bit later with a better PS? I currently have what I think is a solid PS, but it's not exactly super personal. The two attorneys where I work recommended adding a bunch of stuff about my own background, and while I admit that it improves the statement, I'm having major trouble bringing it back to the quality of writing of the original statement. I know that at least for Harvard, an earlier app is a major boost. (I also know that Harvard is a pipe dream, but hence why I would need all of the boosts I can get.)

Do you think that the personal statement just needs to show that I'm a competent writer and not completely hateable, or should I take the time to submit one that may be of slightly lower writing caliber but that shows that I've (sort of) faced some adversity?

bp shinners

Re: Early App or Better PS?

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:30 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:The two attorneys where I work recommended adding a bunch of stuff about my own background

This worries me. It makes me think the statement has become weaker for the inclusion of these things. You don't want a long-form resume, and you don't want to throw a bunch of your background in - just tell one tale, and tell it well.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm

bp shinners wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:The two attorneys where I work recommended adding a bunch of stuff about my own background

This worries me. It makes me think the statement has become weaker for the inclusion of these things. You don't want a long-form resume, and you don't want to throw a bunch of your background in - just tell one tale, and tell it well.

Do you ever critique PSs on here? I just finished my first draft and have been looking for some input

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm

MostDangerous, did you end up re-taking the LSAT? I decided against it.

I was in the same situation with the PS. My solution? Work tirelessly on it. I wrote maybe 20-30 different stories before picking the best and chiseling at it.

They aren't mutually exclusive. You can turn something in early. I'd be willing to trade PS's too, just PM me. If memory serves, we have similar thought processes/credentials.

Magical Trevor

Postby Magical Trevor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Early app given that your newer ps isn't sounding better, especially if even you aren't convinced you've really faced adversity.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks for the opinions, all. Think I'll probably submit the best version of the modified PS this weekend.

Anyone else have any thoughts before I do?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”