Letter of Rec from Attorney or Non-Attorney Supervisor Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Who to get the LOR from?

Non-attorney direct supervisor
80%
Associate Atty not supervisor
20%
Branch Partner supervisors' supervisor
No votes
Owner/Managing Partner
No votes

Total votes: 5

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Letter of Rec from Attorney or Non-Attorney Supervisor

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi there,

Context: So I have been out of undergrad for just over a year, and have been working as a court stand in for attorneys at my firm (basically a paralegal on roids). I already have two letters of recommendation from undergrad professors.

My question is this: Should I have my professional letter of rec come from 1 of 4 people. (1) Non-attorney direct supervisor who knows my work intimately; (2) Associate Attorney who has a strong writing style and likes me very much personally, but does not have any supervisory role over me; (3) Branch Partner Attorney, low-to moderate amount of exposure to my work (my supervisor's supervisor); or (4) Owner of the firm/Presiding Partner Attorney, absolutely no exposure to my personal work, but has a positive personal outlook on me.

Any input helps.

Cicero76

Silver

Re: Letter of Rec from Attorney or Non-Attorney Supervisor

Post by Cicero76 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:00 pm

If you already have two academic LORs, you don't need a professional one. If you must use one, pick the one who knows you best, preferably with good writing skills.

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:11 am

Cicero76 wrote:If you already have two academic LORs, you don't need a professional one. If you must use one, pick the one who knows you best, preferably with good writing skills.
I suppose this would lead to another question then. If i'm applying to schools that list 2-4 LOR's, do you only submit 2 letters, and make them academic?

I had thought that 2 academic, 1 professional (especially considering this will likely be the most emphatic of the 3) would be better. Or even 1 academic, 1 professional.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:33 am

sjgonzalez3 wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:If you already have two academic LORs, you don't need a professional one. If you must use one, pick the one who knows you best, preferably with good writing skills.
I suppose this would lead to another question then. If i'm applying to schools that list 2-4 LOR's, do you only submit 2 letters, and make them academic?

I had thought that 2 academic, 1 professional (especially considering this will likely be the most emphatic of the 3) would be better. Or even 1 academic, 1 professional.
It depends on what range of schools you're applying to. If you're looking at the T14, then nonacademic recs are not particularly helpful. Below that, they may be more useful. I would always submit the two academic LORs, and then submit the 3rd one when you think it will help, especially if it is 'most emphatic' as you say.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 pm

Schools aren't trying to assess your legal skills. They're trying to assess your intellectual abilities, work ethic, and personality. Your direct supervisor will address those points in more detail and with better stories. Their letter will be more compelling as a result.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”