Expunged Possession of Alcohol Under Legal Age

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
connorgiff24

Expunged Possession of Alcohol Under Legal Age

Postby connorgiff24 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was wondering, as I start applying for Law School I know that I have to disclose my PAULA which I received in June 2011. I have since had it expunged, and it does not show up in my court records when I look for it (Iowa has all court cases located online). I should still report it and explain it, correct? I feel I have a pretty good explanation, but I want to make sure I'm not hurting myself by adding it when I don't need it.

Thanks!

rinkrat19

Re: Expunged Possession of Alcohol Under Legal Age

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Some schools specifically want even expunged records. As for the others, you might as well be safe and disclose, since it such a minor thing (assuming it was just once and it was at least a few years ago) won't hurt you in the slightest.

Nooblarzlarz

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 am

Seeing other posts on TLS very similar to yours, it seems that the common wisdom is to disclose even if it's expunged since it could create some C&F issues down the line. I'm in the same exact position with an expunged alcohol possession charge. Seems to be no big deal to law schools.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Nooblarzlarz wrote:Seeing other posts on TLS very similar to yours, it seems that the common wisdom is to disclose even if it's expunged since it could create some C&F issues down the line. I'm in the same exact position with an expunged alcohol possession charge. Seems to be no big deal to law schools.

If anything, they'll view it as you getting in some early prep for on-campus events with partners.

Seriously, though, just disclose it unless the C&F question very specifically exempts it. It will in no way hurt you, but not disclosing when you should have could come back to bite you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”