"Personal" Section on Resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nutsforboalt

"Personal" Section on Resume

Postby nutsforboalt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:40 am

When looking at sample admissions resumes (specifically on HLS' site) some of them had a "personal" section. This seems like the ideal place for me to put the international traveling I've done, but what other types of experience would go under this category? Language proficiency? Any input appreciated, just trying to make my application as well-rounded and thorough as possible!

yot11

Re: "Personal" Section on Resume

Postby yot11 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:09 pm

nutsforboalt wrote:When looking at sample admissions resumes (specifically on HLS' site) some of them had a "personal" section. This seems like the ideal place for me to put the international traveling I've done, but what other types of experience would go under this category? Language proficiency? Any input appreciated, just trying to make my application as well-rounded and thorough as possible!

As I understand it, that section is meant to provide personal talking points if you were to be interviewed. So provide hobbies/interests that the interviewer can ask about to get the cconversation going.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Hobbies and interests. Sports you play, sports you watch. Crafts you do. For really broad topics like reading, music and travel, being more specific is better. e.g. "ecotourism and backpacking" sounds better than "travel" and "historical biographies" sounds better than "books."

You don't have to be an expert at your interests to include them, but definitely be SINCERE. You need to be able to talk knowledgeably and enthusiastically and with detail if you are asked about them, so don't list "Foreign films" when you've seen like two in your life, or "baseball" when you can't talk about a favorite team and haven't been following the season. If you list "snowboarding," you don't have to be a black diamond expert-level rider, but you'd better have gone more than twice in your life when you were in middle school. But being an enthusiastic beginner is fine.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Hobbies and interests. Sports you play, sports you watch. Crafts you do. For really broad topics like reading, music and travel, being more specific is better. e.g. "ecotourism and backpacking" sounds better than "travel" and "historical biographies" sounds better than "books."

You don't have to be an expert at your interests to include them, but definitely be SINCERE. You need to be able to talk knowledgeably and enthusiastically and with detail if you are asked about them, so don't list "Foreign films" when you've seen like two in your life, or "baseball" when you can't talk about a favorite team and haven't been following the season. If you list "snowboarding," you don't have to be a black diamond expert-level rider, but you'd better have gone more than twice in your life when you were in middle school. But being an enthusiastic beginner is fine.

Yep, my HLS interview was almost exclusively about 2 things in that section of my resume (though this was back in the Toby Stock days). Be specific, be sincere, and don't be afraid to put niche hobbies on there* - you never know what interests the person reading your resume will have.

*Unless it's something offensive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”