Letter of Recommendation from a College Coach

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vicpin5190

Letter of Recommendation from a College Coach

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:05 am

Hey all,

I'm trying to compile a list of people to send requests for LORs and one person that I feel would be a great rec is my college XC/Track coach. Being a captain, I had a solid relationship with him and I feel like he would be able to speak well about me in a letter. How is this looked up on by admissions officers? I have a professor lined up to ask as well, but I have been leaning towards my coach as my second letter.

What is the consensus here?

malleus discentium

Re: Letter of Recommendation from a College Coach

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:27 am

The general wisdom is that to the extent that anyone cares about LORs, they want exactly two academic references. LORs absolutely matter at Y. S and to a lesser extent H also probably care about them and likewise will want academic references. Other schools also prefer academic LORs, but LORs in general matter less outside YHS. So if you're shooting for YHS then get two academic references. Otherwise you can possibly get away without two academic letters, but unless there's a compelling reason why you can't get academic LORs, it's a safer bet to have them.

bp shinners

Re: Letter of Recommendation from a College Coach

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:30 pm

A letter like this should be saved and submitted if you are waitlisted.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”