To disclose or not?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amw5471

To disclose or not?

Postby amw5471 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 am

So my freshman year I was a loser. I didn't drink, I didn't go out, I was a good kid. One night, my best friend called me sounding like she was dying at the party she was at in an on campus house. In an attempt to help my friend I spent an hour at said party holding her hair back and hoping to get her home. Before that was possible an RA came and broke up the party. No police were called but I was written up for being "in the presence of alcohol." I had to meet with a community advisor and basically told my story, didn't have to do anything like a fine or alcohol class as others had to but I know I still have the "in the presence of alcohol" thing on my record.

Do I tell people that? I feel like it is the stupidest charge to give someone and I don't see why a school would have an issue with that but I have no idea how to disclose the issue.

Humbert Humbert

Re: To disclose or not?

Postby Humbert Humbert » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:10 am

I would disclose it but keep it brief. "I was given a minor citation on my student record for being in the presence of alcohol my freshman year. I take full responsibility for the incident."

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 am

Perfect, thank you!

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:14 am

I don't think your law school app requires it. Don't tell them anything they don't need to hear.

Also, go out and get drunk with your friends.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:25 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:I would disclose it but keep it brief. "I was given a minor citation on my student record for being in the presence of alcohol my freshman year. I take full responsibility for the incident."

Don't do this, especially when it sounds like you did nothing wrong. If the full explanation absolves you of any responsibility, it seems stupid to leave out.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 am

hichvichwoh wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:I would disclose it but keep it brief. "I was given a minor citation on my student record for being in the presence of alcohol my freshman year. I take full responsibility for the incident."

Don't do this, especially when it sounds like you did nothing wrong. If the full explanation absolves you of any responsibility, it seems stupid to leave out.

A single citation for being in the presence of alcohol will have zero effect on his application. Keeping it brief and taking full responsibility up front (even if you actually did nothing wrong) will look better (and less evasive) than a lengthy explanation of holding your friend's hair back while she puked and getting unlucky when the RA walked in.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:

A single citation for being in the presence of alcohol will have zero effect on his application. Keeping it brief and taking full responsibility up front (even if you actually did nothing wrong) will look better (and less evasive) than a lengthy explanation of holding your friend's hair back while she puked and getting unlucky when the RA walked in.

Nice false dichotomy? There's a wide canyon of space between "taking full responsibility" for something without explaining what happened and going into graphic detail about vomiting and hair.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:48 am

If the app requires it, disclose it. No one will give a flying shit.

If the app does not require it, then dont say anything.

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm

The argument going on here is exactly the argument going on in my head. I think I will only disclose this information if the application asks and then provide a brief explanation while taking responsibility.

And for the record, after this incident I decided it wasn't worth not drinking because I might get caught, I already had been and I wasn't even drinking. Probably not the best response but it has led to some fun nights.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”