Do you submit different resumes?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
samantha.b233

Do you submit different resumes?

Postby samantha.b233 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:58 am

Just curious.

Does it really matter? I know personal statements are tailored for different schools. But how about resumes? Do you tailor yours? If you do, why?
Last edited by samantha.b233 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

NapoleonXV

Re: Do you submit different resumes?

Postby NapoleonXV » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:02 am

I have different versions, but I would not call it tailoring in any sense.

In T6, Chicago wants hours per week on resume, so I have a separate one for them.
Also, Yale explicitly states that it prefers one-page resume, while the others are pretty much indifferent between the one or two page.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:27 am

NapoleonXV wrote:Also, Yale explicitly states that it prefers one-page resume, while the others are pretty much indifferent between the one or two page.

Really? That's new.

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:36 am

Ti Malice wrote:
NapoleonXV wrote:Also, Yale explicitly states that it prefers one-page resume, while the others are pretty much indifferent between the one or two page.

Really? That's new.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx

If you do include a resume (which we don't require), it should be one page.  This is standard business practice, unless you're an academic with a lot of publications to your name which might take several pages to list.  Now, this isn't a job application, and I'm sure we admit many people every year who have multiple-page resumes, so it's not an application-killer.  But from a practical perspective, I'll note that it's really a lot easier to read a one-page resume and to see your life highlights at a glance.  If you're concerned that you won't be able to fit everything you want to show on one page -- voila!  We have a question on our application just for you -- Question 5a-c (see above).

It might not be the most explicit thing, and it is not a strict requirement after all. But it might be worth keeping it to one page.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Ti Malice wrote:

Really? That's new.

No, it's not*. You should have a 1-page resume for every school. If you have more than that on there, then you're including stuff that you should be cutting.

*The explicit part is new.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Also, some schools want your weekly hours listed with work experience, but that tends to look kind of cluttered and stupid. So a lot of people make a special version of the resume for those schools.

Checking in on the Team One Page Resumes, btw. If I can fit 10 years of work experience and volunteering on one page, 99% of you can fit your shit on one page too.

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Also, some schools want your weekly hours listed with work experience, but that tends to look kind of cluttered and stupid. So a lot of people make a special version of the resume for those schools.

Checking in on the Team One Page Resumes, btw. If I can fit 10 years of work experience and volunteering on one page, 99% of you can fit your shit on one page too.

I definitely can fit it to one page and prior to law school apps, I have always used one page resume to apply for internships etc.

However I understand (from reading TLS posts and school website) that for most schools, law school resume could be different from professional resumes and could contain much more details. I think Chicago mentions on its website something like 'Yes give us more details and do more than one page.'

But of course, I would be happy to change to one page for every school if there is overwhelming evidence I should do this:)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 pm

NapoleonXV wrote:But of course, I would be happy to change to one page for every school if there is overwhelming evidence I should do this:)

You should do this. The schools that ask for more say that they want more if your background warrants it. It almost never does.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Also, some schools want your weekly hours listed with work experience, but that tends to look kind of cluttered and stupid. So a lot of people make a special version of the resume for those schools.

Do you cut non-important jobs?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:24 pm

rebexness wrote:

Do you cut non-important jobs?

You can. I didn't.

rinkrat19 wrote:Here's my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks rink!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:42 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Really? That's new.

No, it's not*. You should have a 1-page resume for every school. If you have more than that on there, then you're including stuff that you should be cutting.

*The explicit part is new.

I guess I'm getting senile. I had forgotten that the YLS app had its own section for honors, extracurriculars, etc. In that case I agree that a resume should be kept to one page for YLS (mine was, which I obviously forgot).

I don't think that going over one-page is an issue when the limit is not explicitly stated, however. Your opinion obviously differs. But even one of the sample resumes on HLS's website spills well over onto the second page. As the sample shows, the usual law school application resume is not just a traditional job resume.

If you're a K-JD, yes, then it's pretty absurd to have a resume that exceeds one page, but it's just fine for someone with a significant amount of work experience when the expectation is for the applicant to also include academic honors and awards, publications, language abilities, extracurricular activities, and so forth, much of which wouldn't go on a traditional job resume.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Anyone have a good resume template they can send me? I really just want to find something that I can copy and paste my info to. Is that too lazy?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”