Found a type-o in a submitted application!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whippersnappery

Found a type-o in a submitted application!

Postby whippersnappery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 pm

I found a minor typeo (that instead of there) in my PS in a submitted application. Should I send the school a new essay, or hope they don't catch it? Help!

Happy Gilmore

Re: Found a type-o in a submitted application!

Postby Happy Gilmore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Lol they'll catch it but there is nothing you can do.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Why would you put your blood type on an application?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 pm

I found a typo in your thread title

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Don't be such a type A about it.

rockclimber2013

Postby rockclimber2013 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:05 pm

I made substantially bigger typos than this in the PS I submitted to some schools, and I just emailed a corrected essay to the admissions office the next day. (I said something like "I accidentally attached the wrong PS" rather than "I made a typo"). I got in everywhere I applied with the re-submitted essay (including Harvard/Stanford), so I don't think they're nearly as uptight as people here will have you believe.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Even if they catch it its unlikely to really affect you.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:30 am

I'm guessing nearly everyone has a typo/grammatical error somewhere in their application. Unless your PS is riddled with spelling errors, I doubt it'll have much effect.

Scuppers

Postby Scuppers » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:30 am

I'm reapplying this year. Last year I spent a month editing my PS until it was pristine. This year I submitted the same PS with only like two new sentences, rushed to get all my apps submitted, and only after they all transmitted did I notice that one of my two new sentences had 3 extra words in it for no reason. Not even sure how that happened--think I bumped control V or something on my final pass through. hahahahaha You win, law school. You win.

Basically I want to throw up now.

But I'm not sure if it's worth it to send an updated one or not, or if I do try to update it, if I should do it before or after it goes complete...

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am

A day after I sent in my UVa app, I also noticed a typo on my PS. Serves me right for not having the patience to wait for my friend to finish proofreading it. But to look on the bright side of things, this was the only app that I sent in before rectifying the error, and it was kinda my safety school anyway, so I'm not too worried (or so I'm telling myself). I'd have freaked if this mistake had been on my HYS apps.

hiltopp01

Postby hiltopp01 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 am

heythatslife wrote:A day after I sent in my UVa app, I also noticed a typo on my PS. Serves me right for not having the patience to wait for my friend to finish proofreading it. But to look on the bright side of things, this was the only app that I sent in before rectifying the error, and it was kinda my safety school anyway, so I'm not too worried (or so I'm telling myself). I'd have freaked if this mistake had been on my HYS apps.

Rancid anti-UVA trolling.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:57 am

You should've been overly anal about that stuff. Practice for LRW/Law Review/memo-writing

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 pm

rockclimber2013 wrote:I made substantially bigger typos than this in the PS I submitted to some schools, and I just emailed a corrected essay to the admissions office the next day. (I said something like "I accidentally attached the wrong PS" rather than "I made a typo"). I got in everywhere I applied with the re-submitted essay (including Harvard/Stanford), so I don't think they're nearly as uptight as people here will have you believe.

Not everyone who works in the admissions office will be reviewing your application and making a decision. The person who puts together the application package for review does not fall under that category, and that's the person with whom you'll speak to make this happen. If you call up, ask politely, and get their e-mail, you can often get the essay switched out with no issues. Often, not always.

But a single typo isn't a huge issue; an issue, but not a huge one.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:30 pm

The funnest typo/mistake for me was the one where I left the same school in my PS and sent it off to like 4 schools before noticing.

Still got in to all of those schools.

Scuppers

Postby Scuppers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:57 pm

dowu wrote:The funnest typo/mistake for me was the one where I left the same school in my PS and sent it off to like 4 schools before noticing.

Still got in to all of those schools.

176 power.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”