Should I submit an addendum for a poor 20-year old uGPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScottRiqui

Should I submit an addendum for a poor 20-year old uGPA?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:21 am

My uGPA is definitely going to be the weak point of my applications; my LSAT is already above the 50th or 75th percentile for the schools I'm interested in, and I'm retaking in October with the hopes of boosting it further. I've had a 20-year career in the military, and a STEM master's degree with a 3.9 GPA that was awarded in the past five years. My uGPA, however, is from 1994, and it's sub-3.0.

If the schools' applications don't specifically require anything along the lines of "Attach an explanation if you don't think your uGPA is indicative of your abilities", should I write one anyway, or just hope that the adcomms will look at the rest of my package and make the assumption on their own that my uGPA is no longer a good indicator of my potential?

I think I could write an acceptable explanation if needed, but I don't have a compelling explanation for my GPA (battling cancer, having to work three jobs to support my family, etc).

Ti Malice

Re: Should I submit an addendum for a poor 20-year old uGPA?

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:15 pm

If you don't have a compelling explanation, then you should just leave it alone.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 pm

You may already be doing this, but since the master's degree was awarded fairly recently, consider an academic LOR from a grad school professor if you can. I find it hard to believe any school would expect one from an undergrad professor in your case, but an academic LOR of any kind for an applicant with so much professional experience will probably be looked upon favorably.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Just my personal impression, but I think the LSAT, masters GPA and 20 year removal from your UGPA speak for themselves on this one.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:18 pm

We've got a Wildcat in the making

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:26 pm

HawgDriver wrote:You may already be doing this, but since the master's degree was awarded fairly recently, consider an academic LOR from a grad school professor if you can. I find it hard to believe any school would expect one from an undergrad professor in your case, but an academic LOR of any kind for an applicant with so much professional experience will probably be looked upon favorably.

Fortunately, I've stayed close with my master's thesis advisor, and I'm sure the letter she wrote for me was great.

As for the uGPA, I'll just ignore it unless the adcomms ask specifically - thanks all for the advice. I just didn't know if some kind of an addendum was *always* expected if one part of your application was much weaker than the rest.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:We've got a Wildcat in the making

+1

Enjoy Northwestern and just tell everyone you're 28.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”