Somewhat specific GPA add question your input is appreciated

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tigersaresexy

Somewhat specific GPA add question your input is appreciated

Postby tigersaresexy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:12 am

I'm not sure how common this question is on app, but I was filling out my first application today for USC and they asked something along the lines of "Do you think your college transcript accurately reflects you abilities, if not attach an explanation"

Now my UG GPA isn't good for a variety of reasons, the main one being that I gave absolutely no shits about my major junior and senior year. In the summer of my sophomore year I realized that the career I thought I wanted (or was told to believe I wanted from my dad) is not something I actually care about, and I never liked my major to begin with so, after I found out it was too late to reasonably switch, I became really apathetic towards it. My grades in classes for my minors and law-related classes are much higher, but I got mostly Bs and even a couple Cs on my major related classes.

So my dilemma is, I really don't think my GPA reflects my abilities, but I don't really have a good reason to write an addendum either. What do?

Magical Trevor

Re: Somewhat specific GPA add question your input is appreciated

Postby Magical Trevor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:38 am

The most compelling advice I've gotten with respect to similar concerns us that writing an addendum is only worth it when it adds something compelling to the application. Picking the wrong major is not compelling, but if something happened that shows you have changed and grown into a more responsible student that might be worth talking about.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:42 am

skzen75 wrote: Picking the wrong major is not compelling.

Yeah that's what I figured, so should I answer 'Yes' to that question and just fuck it?

Magical Trevor

Postby Magical Trevor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:47 am

You are applying to join a profession that requires you to make compelling arguments. Find something to talk about that isn't the cliche "my parents wanted me to major in ____ but i didn't really want to."

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Unless you can tell a story about a recurring illness, a death in the family, or something similar, you won't be adding anything to the application.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”