Exact wording of Harvard/Yale C&F questions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anonymoose123

Exact wording of Harvard/Yale C&F questions?

Postby anonymoose123 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Does anyone have them from last year's app?

hiltopp01

Re: Exact wording of Harvard/Yale C&F questions?

Postby hiltopp01 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 am

Disclose.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:40 pm

hiltopp01 wrote:Disclose.

LOL. Yeah, this.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonymoose123

Postby anonymoose123 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks guys!

hiltopp01 and kappycaft1, I know I should disclose everything, but I'll post why I asked this in the first place in a separate post.

jshaffer740

Postby jshaffer740 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:56 am

The tricky thing I have wondered about Harvard's section (and others with this same stipulation) is that they say you do not need to answer for expunged/sealed criminal cases. However this stipulation does not extend to incidents involving your academic institution. So if you were involved in an incident that was expunged, but also involved in sanctions at your university related to the same incident, I am assuming you still have to disclose the incident even though it was expunged. I guess at least you can just disclose the university's charge/sanction (which may sound better), and still answer no the the criminal section, but it makes for a more sticky situation.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:50 am

Harvards this year:

"At any educational institution, have you ever been found responsible for behavioral misconduct that resulted in anything more than a verbal reprimand or are any charges pending?"

By educational institution are they referring to high school? If so, fuck.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:44 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:Harvards this year:

"At any educational institution, have you ever been found responsible for behavioral misconduct that resulted in anything more than a verbal reprimand or are any charges pending?"

Kindergarten bro, kindergarten

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:32 am

t-14orbust wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot tell if your kidding lol. Academic Institution could literally mean everything. So they really want to know about every detention in highschool?

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:34 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot tell if your kidding lol. Academic Institution could literally mean everything. So they really want to know about every detention in highschool?

Detention? Unlikely lol. Does your school even have records of that? I imagine they only want more serious things like suspension/plagiarism/fights etc. You can always call JS and ask her.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:39 am

t-14orbust wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

Detention? Unlikely lol. Does your school even have records of that? I imagine they only want more serious things like suspension/plagiarism/fights etc. You can always call JS and ask her.

Goddamnit

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:46 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:
Goddamnit

Who knows, maybe she meant colleges/universities/gradschools only. Besides, high school is so far gone, I doubt they would hold anything against you unless it was egregious

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:48 am

Am I the only one interpreting Harvard's C&F Qs to be slightly more lenient than other schools? I don't see which Q would require one to disclose being put on academic probation. They are also the only school (well, I haven't read Yale or Stanford's C&F Qs) who don't seem to care about traffic-related misdemeanors..

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:39 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Am I the only one interpreting Harvard's C&F Qs to be slightly more lenient than other schools? I don't see which Q would require one to disclose being put on academic probation. They are also the only school (well, I haven't read Yale or Stanford's C&F Qs) who don't seem to care about traffic-related misdemeanors..

Theirs is the most lenient IMO, and it does seem like they were going for that. It's one of the only top schools(that I've noticed at least) that only wants convictions for the criminal history portion. That is pretty huge for people w dismissed cases and expunged records.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:54 am

It's also a change from last year, and from what JS has said in years past, I think.

staples88

abcdef

Postby staples88 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:49 pm

abcdef
Last edited by staples88 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

clay7676

Postby clay7676 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:53 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Am I the only one interpreting Harvard's C&F Qs to be slightly more lenient than other schools? I don't see which Q would require one to disclose being put on academic probation. They are also the only school (well, I haven't read Yale or Stanford's C&F Qs) who don't seem to care about traffic-related misdemeanors..

Theirs is the most lenient IMO, and it does seem like they were going for that. It's one of the only top schools(that I've noticed at least) that only wants convictions for the criminal history portion. That is pretty huge for people w dismissed cases and expunged records.

It's an important milestone for a progressive empathetic society. I hope other law schools follow this trend. Everyone makes mistakes, some serious, some not. If you have a commitment to your academic pursuit and have achieved thus far, your mistakes (to an extent of course) should not weigh so heavily. An elite education should be available for anyone. Plus, it just makes sense, a lot more qualified people are skrewing up and Obama wants felons to vote.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:32 pm

clay7676 wrote:Obama wants felons to vote.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”