Who should I get letters of Recommendation from?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KatyMarie

Who should I get letters of Recommendation from?

Postby KatyMarie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Hello TLS folks! You guys have been so helpful in this application process, I wanted to ask advice on choosing Recommenders and Evaluators. I already have two professors write LORs for me, and I feel really comfortable with those two letters. Since I work at a law firm though, I was wondering if I shouldn't try to get some work LORs or Evaluations from here. I work more closely with the paralegals...but would a LOR from an attorney would be more useful? Is it better to get a letter of recommendation from a paralegal who has worked more closely with me? Or to get a letter of recommendation from a JD? I could also get a good LOR from my boss (the director of paralegals) if that would be a good option?

And this Evaluation thing is weird... Should I get a couple of Evaluations? Who would make a good evaluator?

If it makes any difference: Lsat-169, GPA-4.0 (GSU), 2 years work experience at a corporate firm, Applying to T14 as well as some safety schools (UA, UGA)

Thanks guys!

North

Re: Who should I get letters of Recommendation from?

Postby North » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:08 pm

If you really think the work LOR it'll add valuable, novel information about you to your application, then get one from the paralegal who knows you well. Don't bother with evaluations.

Also, and more importantly, you should truly, seriously consider retaking the LSAT for a 170+ so you can go to Harvard or UVA with a fully. It's a good cycle to have a 169 and all, but still. You won't be getting the most out of your 4.0 with a 169.

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I would like to retake the LSAT, I had planned to, but between increased family obligations in the past few months and a more than full time job, I really don't have the ability to put in the time I'd need to in order to increase my score. I know that's the best thing I could do for my application, but I'm going to live with the 169 and keep my fingers crossed. :) Thanks for the advice!

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 pm

I want to piggy back off this thread. I was wondering what admissions would think of having 1 of my 2 recs come from my college XC coach. I was named a captain of my team senior year so I had a lot of interaction with him, and I know he would be a great source for a rec, but I wanted to know what most admissions people think of coaches as a source. My other rec i'm planning on asking a professor I had second semester senior year, so I feel good there, but with XC/Track I didn't form as many "close" relationships with professors.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”