Anybody know about applicants w/ mental illness and T-14? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dj.honch

New

Anybody know about applicants w/ mental illness and T-14?

Post by dj.honch » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 pm

So I'm hoping somebody has insight on how an applicant with a mental illness will be viewed by law school admissions committees. In my case, I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I speak about my experience with it at length in my personal statement and addendum. I'm really hoping for a T-14 school but, due to the aforementioned issues, I destroyed my GPA during my last semester. It went from a 3.79 to a 3.61. I'm taking the LSAT next month.

That said, anybody have any insight on what kind of LSAT score I might need to achieve my T-14 goal? FYI, I graduated from a lower Ivy and have a masters in public administration from a state school.

Cheers.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Anybody know about applicants w/ mental illness and T-14?

Post by Nova » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:37 am

Median or better most places

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:42 am

I think your PS topic has the potential to be great and be a positive part of your app. It depends how well you wrote it though.

Good luck on the lsat

Look at noodley and pithypike in the stickies of the lsat forum if you havent

butt-head

New

Post by butt-head » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:49 am

Last edited by butt-head on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:59 am

Last edited by sabanist on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am

Personally, I'd leave the Asperger's out of your application and take what you can get with the 3.61. If you had a 2.9 it'd be a different story, but I don't think a 3.61 is low enough to justify making your disorder such a focus of your application. It's not a risk-free strategy.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am

dj.honch wrote:So I'm hoping somebody has insight on how an applicant with a mental illness will be viewed by law school admissions committees. In my case, I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I speak about my experience with it at length in my personal statement and addendum. I'm really hoping for a T-14 school but, due to the aforementioned issues, I destroyed my GPA during my last semester. It went from a 3.79 to a 3.61. I'm taking the LSAT next month.

That said, anybody have any insight on what kind of LSAT score I might need to achieve my T-14 goal? FYI, I graduated from a lower Ivy and have a masters in public administration from a state school.

Cheers.
Personally i would choose a different topic to write your personal statement on because PS's about overcoming obstacles always sound like they address peoples weaknesses to me. There would be no other indication on your application of Asperger's, it could be completely left off instead of serving as a center piece

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”