Apply this cycle or next?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
riku33090

Apply this cycle or next?

Postby riku33090 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi guys, I am relatively new here so forgive me if I make any noob claims. I am scheduled to take LSAT in December and I been following a lot of threads and come to a general conclusion that applying early in the cycle is better than applying late. So my question is that should I wait until next cycle to apply? I am afraid that even if i do well (173+) my chances at top 14 are still low with a 3.1 GPA. Any suggestions?

john1990

Re: Apply this cycle or next?

Postby john1990 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:58 pm

riku33090 wrote:Hi guys, I am relatively new here so forgive me if I make any noob claims. I am scheduled to take LSAT in December and I been following a lot of threads and come to a general conclusion that applying early in the cycle is better than applying late. So my question is that should I wait until next cycle to apply? I am afraid that even if i do well (173+) my chances at top 14 are still low with a 3.1 GPA. Any suggestions?

With a 3.1 GPA your odds of increasing your GPA is small. I would apply now.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Your app will be later than desired, but assuming it goes complete in early to mid January, I think you'll have similar options still. Splitter friendly schools would still want you and non splitter friendly will still be a no go with a 3.1. If you do score that well, get fee waivers to UVA, GULC and NU and apply to see what happens. If you don't like the result, sit out a cycle and try again next year.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:14 pm

john1990 wrote:
riku33090 wrote:Hi guys, I am relatively new here so forgive me if I make any noob claims. I am scheduled to take LSAT in December and I been following a lot of threads and come to a general conclusion that applying early in the cycle is better than applying late. So my question is that should I wait until next cycle to apply? I am afraid that even if i do well (173+) my chances at top 14 are still low with a 3.1 GPA. Any suggestions?

With a 3.1 GPA your odds of increasing your GPA is small. I would apply now.

Sorry to mention that I just graduated back in June.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:20 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:Your app will be later than desired, but assuming it goes complete in early to mid January, I think you'll have similar options still. Splitter friendly schools would still want you and non splitter friendly will still be a no go with a 3.1. If you do score that well, get fee waivers to UVA, GULC and NU and apply to see what happens. If you don't like the result, sit out a cycle and try again next year.

Thanks a lot. Lets assume for now i scored a 178, does that change anything regarding my options and whether to apply this or next cycle?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 pm

riku33090 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:Your app will be later than desired, but assuming it goes complete in early to mid January, I think you'll have similar options still. Splitter friendly schools would still want you and non splitter friendly will still be a no go with a 3.1. If you do score that well, get fee waivers to UVA, GULC and NU and apply to see what happens. If you don't like the result, sit out a cycle and try again next year.

Thanks a lot. Lets assume for now i scored a 178, does that change anything regarding my options and whether to apply this or next cycle?

Retake will be worth it, but i would still apply this cycle as well. You might get in late and it cant hurt to apply

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:50 pm

john1990 wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

Retake will be worth it, but i would still apply this cycle as well. You might get in late and it cant hurt to apply

Aren't you a mega-troll?

I would caution against what this guy is saying. The "apply now" with the gpa considerations and "retake will be worth it" with a 178?

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Aren't you a mega-troll?

I would caution against what this guy is saying. The "apply now" with the gpa considerations and "retake will be worth it" with a 178?

I think he meant that a retake would be worth it to increase from the 173 that was mentioned in the OP, not from 178 (which would be totally ridiculous). I'll go ahead and agree with Matthewsean that as long as his application is as polished as possible, if he can get it in as soon as December scores are released his cycle won't be appreciably different.

However I would advise to look around http://www.admissionsbythenumbers.com/ for the data on what schools give noticeable admissions bumps for splitters applying early.

hiltopp01

Postby hiltopp01 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:28 am

Come back with an official LSAT score first.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 am

hiltopp01 wrote:

Come back with an official LSAT score first.

The whole point asking this question is if it is better for me to apply next cycle i would consider postponing my December test to June so i have more time studying.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:00 am

If the downward trend in apps continues, I'm sure you can still get very good results with a high LSAT in January. Some T14 will want a 173, even with that GPA. I saw give this cycle a go but be prepared to wait another year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”