Best strategy for top schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cal
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Best strategy for top schools?

Postby cal » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm applying to most of the T14 and I think my numbers give me a decent shot most places except HYS (171, ~3.75+). I am wondering what I can do to improve my borderline chances at CCN and other schools in that range? I'll be writing Why X essays for the schools that seem receptive to this (UPenn, Michigan, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell etc). It seems odd to me that I'll be putting more time and effort into those applications for schools that I'm more likely to get into than the ones for the schools I really want to attend, like Columbia or NYU. Does anyone have suggestions of how I can improve my application for these more reach schools, short of saying "I will attend if accepted". For Columbia and NYU, is there really no advantage to demonstrating specific interest in the school through a supplemental essay? Or would it be beneficial to devote part of my personal statement to it? Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated, thanks!

PS Am not retaking the LSAT.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2222
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Best strategy for top schools?

Postby jingosaur » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:58 pm

NYU will almost definitely accept you with your numbers.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Best strategy for top schools?

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:12 pm

cal wrote: For Columbia and NYU, is there really no advantage to demonstrating specific interest in the school through a supplemental essay? Or would it be beneficial to devote part of my personal statement to it? Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated, thanks!


Definitely don't devote any of your personal statement to it. That's a common error people make*.

The reason these essays don't work at some of the top schools like NYU and Columbia is, what would you say in it? You want to go to a top school in one of the greatest cities in the world? That's why everyone applies to NYU/Columbia.

Your best bet to maximize your chances is to make sure everything in your application is top-notch. And retake the LSAT :)

*The exception is if you have a demonstrated, long-standing interest in a certain area, the school in question has a unique program in that area, the school advertises that program as a point of pride, and your personal statement is about your interest in that area. It's exceedingly rare for all of those to coincide.

Cuneiform
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am

Re: Best strategy for top schools?

Postby Cuneiform » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:06 am

bp shinners wrote:
*The exception is if you have a demonstrated, long-standing interest in a certain area, the school in question has a unique program in that area, the school advertises that program as a point of pride, and your personal statement is about your interest in that area. It's exceedingly rare for all of those to coincide.


But in theory, there is a chance this could be beneficial? I actually fall into the category you just described.

On a related note, what about mentioning intentions to apply to a school's specific joint degree programs?



Edited to correct formatting error.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Best strategy for top schools?

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Cuneiform wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
*The exception is if you have a demonstrated, long-standing interest in a certain area, the school in question has a unique program in that area, the school advertises that program as a point of pride, and your personal statement is about your interest in that area. It's exceedingly rare for all of those to coincide.


But in theory, there is a chance this could be beneficial? I actually fall into the category you just described.

On a related note, what about mentioning intentions to apply to a school's specific joint degree programs?



Edited to correct formatting error.


Shoot me a PM with the specifics. I don't think that it will actually apply (most people fail under the second category - there aren't a lot of unique programs out there).

User avatar
BruinRegents
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:11 am

Re: Best strategy for top schools?

Postby BruinRegents » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:12 am

Mind if I shoot you a PM as well?

bp shinners wrote:
Cuneiform wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
*The exception is if you have a demonstrated, long-standing interest in a certain area, the school in question has a unique program in that area, the school advertises that program as a point of pride, and your personal statement is about your interest in that area. It's exceedingly rare for all of those to coincide.


But in theory, there is a chance this could be beneficial? I actually fall into the category you just described.

On a related note, what about mentioning intentions to apply to a school's specific joint degree programs?



Edited to correct formatting error.


Shoot me a PM with the specifics. I don't think that it will actually apply (most people fail under the second category - there aren't a lot of unique programs out there).

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Best strategy for top schools?

Postby bp shinners » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:22 pm

BruinRegents wrote:Mind if I shoot you a PM as well?


Anyone should always feel free to shoot me any PM with any question!

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Best strategy for top schools?

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:57 pm

cal wrote:I'm applying to most of the T14 and I think my numbers give me a decent shot most places except HYS (171, ~3.75+). I am wondering what I can do to improve my borderline chances at CCN and other schools in that range?


PS Am not retaking the LSAT.


Sigh. Then no, there's nothing you can do to materially improve your chances.

EDIT: unless you're still in UG and can up your GPA

ruthevans41
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:53 am

Re: Best strategy for top schools?

Postby ruthevans41 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:00 am

Your numbers are good enough to opt for NYU.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests