Loyola Marymount Recommendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Stella77

New

Loyola Marymount Recommendation

Post by Stella77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Will it look bad if I only submit the one required recommendation? I wanted to apply a little earlier (October) but will only have one of my recommendations completed.

jingosaur

Gold

Re: Loyola Marymount Recommendation

Post by jingosaur » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Why do you want to go to Loyola Marymount?

Stella77

New

Post by Stella77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Well, for one, I live and want to practice in Los Angeles. As well I am interested in public interest, in particular education, which Loyola has a great network and reputation for.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Have you considered UCLA and/or USC?

Stella77

New

Post by Stella77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Yes I am applying to USC, UCLA and Pepperdine but will have to wait till I get my other recommendations in. I thought it might be beneficial to get my Loyola application in early for financial aid. I wont receive my other recommendations till at least late November. One of my professors is on sabbatical and said they wont be able to complete it till January. Another professor will get it to me probably in November but I'm not sure how strong that one will be. As of now I have one completed that I'm pretty confident is a great recommendation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Just to let you know, out of the 411 students who graduated Loyola Marymount in 2012, FIVE of them got jobs in Public Interest within 9 months of graduation.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola&show=ABA

As far as your recs question goes, you'll probably be fine with 1 rec, but you should probably look for another recommender for USC/UCLA so you can apply a little bit earlier. Applying late in the cycle, especially with below average numbers, can hurt you. You may also want to retake the LSAT.

Stella77

New

Post by Stella77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:23 pm

jingosaur wrote:Just to let you know, out of the 411 students who graduated Loyola Marymount in 2012, FIVE of them got jobs in Public Interest within 9 months of graduation.

As far as your recs question goes, you'll probably be fine with 1 rec, but you should probably look for another recommender for USC/UCLA so you can apply a little bit earlier. Applying late in the cycle, especially with below average numbers, can hurt you. You may also want to retake the LSAT.

Out of the 411 students how many tried to get a job in public interest?

I will be retaking the LSAT this October. I was scoring in the low 170s on practice tests but just got nervous in June. The three professors I've already asked for recommendations are my best bet for stellar recs so I'd rather wait for them than ask someone else for one that is an average recommendation. Although I'm less confident in one only because she's very scatter brained and extremely busy. I know that applying early to USC and UCLA would only be beneficial but unfortunately I don't really know what to do about my recommendation options.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Stella77 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Just to let you know, out of the 411 students who graduated Loyola Marymount in 2012, FIVE of them got jobs in Public Interest within 9 months of graduation.

Out of the 411 students how many tried to get a job in public interest?

I will be retaking the LSAT this October. I was scoring in the low 170s on practice tests but just got nervous in June. The three professors I've already asked for recommendations are my best bet for stellar recs so I'd rather wait for them than ask someone else for one that is an average recommendation. Although I'm less confident in one only because she's very scatter brained and extremely busy. I know that applying early to USC and UCLA would only be beneficial but unfortunately I don't really know what to do about my recommendation options.
Just get any old letter of rec from any professor. Unless you're gunning for HYS, LORs are TTT.

Get the 170. If you still can't get another letter from a professor, get one from an internship you did or from someone with a leadership position in some volunteering organization. If you still can't get one, get a job at a retail store, have them write you one, then profit.

If you get a 170+, I bet even if I wrote you one of your LORs you'd still have a good shot at USC/UCLA.

LSAT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LeTTTTer of Recommendation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”