Conduct Checks

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mjsjr

Conduct Checks

Postby mjsjr » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:53 am

During my tenure at my undergraduate school, I was placed on "warning" for making an inappropriate joke in front of some work colleagues.

How often do schools use conduct checks? Do you think this charge will hinder my ability to gain access to top-tier schools, if I have the appropriate GPA and LSAT score? And are there any steps I should take to mitigate the harm done if a school does go through with a conduct check?
Last edited by mjsjr on Mon May 25, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Re: Conduct Checks

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:02 am

Whether or not the schools perform "conduct checks", you'll have to disclose this on applications.

mjsjr

Postby mjsjr » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:57 am

midwest17 wrote:Whether or not the schools perform "conduct checks", you'll have to disclose this on applications.

How come? I'm not too familiar with the admissions process.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:27 pm

mjsjr wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Whether or not the schools perform "conduct checks", you'll have to disclose this on applications.

Every school will ask a variation of this question. This specific version is from the University of Michigan:

Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for academic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate, or professional schools you have attended, or are such charges pending or expected to be brought against you?

mjsjr

Postby mjsjr » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:12 pm

midwest17 wrote:
mjsjr wrote:

Every school will ask a variation of this question. This specific version is from the University of Michigan:

Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for academic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate, or professional schools you have attended, or are such charges pending or expected to be brought against you?

Ah, gotcha. Do you know if there are typically portions of the application dedicated to explaining those types of incidents? And do you have any suggestions for one to use when disclosing that type of information? I appreciate the help!

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Yes, they will ask you to attach addenda explaining the incident. The search function will turn up a lot of discussions of C&F addenda that may prove helpful.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Explain the joke to them in the addendum. Hope it's a good one.

EDIT: Can we hear it?

mjsjr

Postby mjsjr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:43 am

Okay, great, thanks for the help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”