LOR from coach

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hos9903

LOR from coach

Postby hos9903 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:18 pm

I am wondering if I should bother having my rowing coach write me a LOR. It's a club team, but a competitive one where we practice almost daily and travel a great deal for competitions. I also held a pretty substantial leadership position on the team, which would be discussed further in the LOR (my resume already mentions it).

I already have two good academic LORs, so this is not necessary. So my question is: do you think this letter would make any difference? If not, I am more than happy to drop the idea.

Thanks for any advice

thelawdoctor

Re: LOR from coach

Postby thelawdoctor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm

It's not the best option, but it's an ok option.

If your coach also taught classes it would be best to help show both teamwork in the field and actual academics in the class.

Most coaches do teach some classes. Did he?

hos9903

Postby hos9903 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:23 pm

No, he did not. He would really only be speaking toward my leadership and the time commitment of rowing.

Like I said, I do not need this letter. I have the required 2 academic letters, this is just an option for an additional letter if I think it would be valuable.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:23 pm

It honestly really does not matter. It is unlikely to help or hurt.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:25 pm

If you already have two good ones but just want to max out the LSDAS LOR file..........go for it I guess.

I think they still charge a fee to submit them to the school though. Not much, but still a few less taco's for the week. Factor that in I guess.

I don't see any harm to it beyond that nominal part though.

hos9903

Postby hos9903 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:25 pm

ImNoScar wrote:It honestly really does not matter. It is unlikely to help or hurt.

thanks, this is what I was looking for. I will probably drop the idea. One less thing to worry about before hitting submit

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:27 pm

hos9903 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:It honestly really does not matter. It is unlikely to help or hurt.

thanks, this is what I was looking for. I will probably drop the idea. One less thing to worry about before hitting submit

You didn't even have it yet?

Where are you applying? Some places care about softs.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:28 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
hos9903 wrote:

Well since you don't have it yet, I would not bother. You have 2 academic LORs already, and that is all that counts.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
hos9903 wrote:

Well since you don't have it yet, I would not bother. You have 2 academic LORs already, and that is all that counts.

kind of depends on who from. "Good" is a relative term. He might mean him mom and her live in boyfriend Jeff the Trucker.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:kind of depends on who from. "Good" is a relative term. He might mean him mom and her live in boyfriend Jeff the Trucker.

No, it really doesnt depend. LORs have little to no bearing on admissions results so I am unsure what you mean.

hos9903

Postby hos9903 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
hos9903 wrote:

No, I don't have it yet. We are fairly close, however, so I expect a quick turnaround time if I were to ask him. I have set an October 5th deadline for myself, so I would ask him this week if I decided to use a rowing LOR.

I'm applying to a variety of T30,T20, and a few T14

edit: Oct. 5th deadline for submitting applications

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”