Law School Acceptance Probability

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IclimbedKilimanjaro

Law School Acceptance Probability

Postby IclimbedKilimanjaro » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm trying to get an idea of what my chances are at being accepted at the following schools: University of Mississippi, Alabama, Emory, Vanderbilt, and Duke.

I'm a nontraditional student, 31 years old, working full time night-shift and going to school more or less full time. I'm married with our first child due in January.

I'm finishing a BA in History at the University of Mississippi with a year left to finish. GPA is 3.4, first cold diagnostic LSAT I took was 151. I did well on the reading comp and ok on logical reasoning. The games is where I did the worst.

My main concern is that although I initially started back with school in 2008, I floundered for a while. I tried a semester at one online college and then a second online college. My first thought was that I could only major in Business with an online program, which isn't my preference at all. I finally decided to switch to a local community college and finished an AA in Business last year before deciding to change my major to History. I'm taking classes online and on campus at the University of Mississippi. I worry that my inconsistency in school in the first few years my look negatively on my application.

I recently summited Mount Kilimanjaro after failing to summit it five years prior. I have thought about using this experience to show personality traits of determination and work ethic.

Assuming that I can get all As in the coming semesters and get 160-165 or better on the LSAT, what would be chance be of being accepted to the schools mentioned? Thanks in advance.

Buck Strickland

Re: Law School Acceptance Probability

Postby Buck Strickland » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Your chances should be pretty good. Your GPA is good but if you could raise it to a 3.5 you'd be in even better shape. Your LSAT score will skyrocket once you start studying - logic games are the easiest part of the test to improve on. Aim for a 170+ and I think you'll be in great shape.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:51 pm

IclimbedKilimanjaro wrote:I recently summited Mount Kilimanjaro after failing to summit it five years prior. I have thought about using this experience to show personality traits of determination and work ethic.

Whatever you do, don't include any "climbing mountains" metaphors/cliches in there. You can write about the experience, but keep it literal, or you'll have eyes rolling.

IclimbedKilimanjaro

Postby IclimbedKilimanjaro » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Yeah I wasn't planning on using any dramatic mountain metaphors, just writing about the actual experience, pushing through the hardest parts and making it to the summit. That's an idea to write about at least, I haven't really decided on a definite topic yet. I have a year to a year and a half to finish my undergraduate degree so hopefully in that time-frame I can raise the GPA a little more. Thanks again.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”