Apply early with a bad GPA or wait a month for final grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Progress01

Apply early with a bad GPA or wait a month for final grades?

Postby Progress01 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:49 pm

The title basically says it all.

Right now, I have a 2.57 LSAC GPA. Yes, yes, I know. It's bad. No, more like horrendous. In an effort to combat it and do everything in my power to pull it up, I'm taking 2 classes that are 8 weeks long and end in October, and grades will post to my transcript by November. So as of early November I'll have a 2.63-2.67, depending. I was planning to apply to schools in November, provided my LSAT scored turns out the way I'm hoping. I've heard those with bad GPAs should apply as early in the cycle as possible. My dream school is probably way out of reach (it's ranked in the upper 30s), but they have an early admissions option, and I hope applying early might give me a tiny sliver of hope of even being WL.

However...My final grades from the rest of the semester post in December. According to a GPA calculator, I stand to see a increase to a 2.75 GPA. So now I'm really torn. Do I apply early with a 2.6.. or apply around New Years with a 2.75?? Is that slight boost in GPA too marginal to influence an admit decision either way? Would love some advice.

PS. I'm a double major in Biology and Psychology. The years of hard science classes--O chem being my least favorite--are what tanked my GPA.

MoMettaMonk

Re: Apply early with a bad GPA or wait a month for final grades?

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Even if you manage to go up to a 2.75, you're probably under whatever school's 25% that you want to apply, and that's what really matters. The best thing that you can do is kill the LSAT, make sure the rest of your application is as good as it can be, submit your apps as early as you can, and hope for the best.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:37 pm

How high could you get before graduation? You might consider waiting to apply if the difference is significant.

John Winger

Postby John Winger » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Are you deadset on going K-JD? Any job opportunites for the year post graduation that would give you time to study for the LSAT and gain W/E? Significant full-time W/E may help apps at lower T-14 (ie Northwestern) if you kill it on the LSAT.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 am

Worry about getting that LSAT together, then apply as early as possible. Disagree with the being below 25th% as being important. USNWR only ranks based on median, not quartiles. You're either above median or below median, in your case, assuming you have more than a few credits, your below median regardless. Just apply with a killer LSAT early as possible.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:44 am

I'd wait a year and get that GPA as high as possible. The year of work experience will make Northwestern easier, and bringing your GPA up closer to 3.0 brings a few other legit schools into play.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”