C&F Specifics

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lilkrnq

C&F Specifics

Postby lilkrnq » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 am

Hi. Sorry if this is a noob question, but if I need to address something for C&F, how specific do I need to be or can it be the general gist of what happened? Would one paragraph suffice: what happened generally, what I learned, etc.

xylocarp

Re: C&F Specifics

Postby xylocarp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:20 am

I think conventional wisdom is to keep it short and concise while obviously disclosing everything in as honest a manner as possible. Depending on the nature of the incident, I think one paragraph (or even shorter?) can be acceptable.

Cooleytruthsayer

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:39 am

It may depend on what it is. Some things its best to be simple but other things look so bad on the surface that you pretty much have to go into detail to explain why you aren't histories greatest monster.

A single DUI where no one got hurt vs a habitual hamster strangler would be a few extreme examples I guess.

What was yours (if you feel ok sharing) ?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:35 am

Be as concise as possible without looking evasive.

Example: On March 10th, 2009 I was arrested for huffing copier toner while pleasuring myself. I received 2 months probation and was the subject of much public mockery. I regret this incident and have resolved not to repeat it. Since this incident, I have had a clean record.

You get the idea. Give the who, what, where, when, why without writing a novel.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Be as concise as possible without looking evasive.

Example: On March 10th, 2009 I was arrested for huffing copier toner while pleasuring myself. I received 2 months probation and was the subject of much public mockery. I regret this incident and have resolved not to repeat it. Since this incident, I have had a clean record.

You get the idea. Give the who, what, where, when, why without writing a novel.

The combination of your avatar and your example made me LOL

lilkrnq

Postby lilkrnq » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 am

Blank
Last edited by lilkrnq on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 am

This is vague.

Also, separated AND let go? Are these really two things?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:37 am

lilkrnq wrote:Please do not quote. I have taken out the name of my previous employer but everything else remains the same. Any feedback would be appreciated.

(Addendum here)

I feel like "separated" is a weird term to use. Maybe it's just me, but I find it a bit awkward as a term about getting fired.

I would take out the last line, or at least reword it to "If needed, I can provide more details."

lilkrnq

Postby lilkrnq » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Thank you for the feedback thus far. Would elaboration be necessary as in would I need to explain the exact reporting situation?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:47 pm

lilkrnq wrote:Thank you for the feedback thus far. Would elaboration be necessary as in would I need to explain the exact reporting situation?

What's the question you're answering?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:16 pm

Removed as per OPs request.
Last edited by bp shinners on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Say what happened and be upfront about it. When you are vague it just makes readers assume the worst (like you worked at Penn State and failed to report that an employee was diddling little boys in the locker room). Also, just say you were fired. Your other colorful expressions just make you sound evasive. I suggest the following format:

On date I was fired by employer because I failed to do X until Y time, and employer's policy required me to do X by Z time. (Then some crap about how you regret the mistake)

lilkrnq

Postby lilkrnq » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:17 pm

Some applications ask a question very much like this one regarding employment history and being let go with cause.

3. Have you ever been subject to discipline by a professional organization?

Would someone be willing to look at my Addendum to help me out? I've explained it out and feel that it might be too long. It's a page.

midwest17 wrote:
lilkrnq wrote:Thank you for the feedback thus far. Would elaboration be necessary as in would I need to explain the exact reporting situation?

What's the question you're answering?
Last edited by lilkrnq on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 pm

lilkrnq wrote:Some applications ask a question very much like this one regarding employment history and being let go with cause.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't interpret this as covering being fired from a job. I read "professional organization" as referring to organizations analogous to the bar. But I may be wrong, and definitely don't take my word for it.

lilkrnq

Postby lilkrnq » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:41 pm

Unfortunately the place of employment which I am referring to is technically considered a professional organization.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

midwest17 wrote:
lilkrnq wrote:Some applications ask a question very much like this one regarding employment history and being let go with cause.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't interpret this as covering being fired from a job. I read "professional organization" as referring to organizations analogous to the bar. But I may be wrong, and definitely don't take my word for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”