Applying a second time

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bincognito

Applying a second time

Postby bincognito » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Edited
Last edited by bincognito on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Re: Applying a second time

Postby xylocarp » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:51 pm

I don't have specific advice to techniques, but yes, it is definitely OK apply to schools from which you were previously rejected.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Did this and was accepted at school I was previously Waitlisted at but rejected from the same schools I was rejected at previously.

I used the same PS with a couple of edits. Would suggest writing a whole new one. Any other questions feel fee to PM.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:21 pm

masked kavana wrote:I used the same PS with a couple of edits. Would suggest writing a whole new one. Any other questions feel fee to PM.

Why would you suggest this? Curious as someone who is about to reapply and was planning on just revising.

eaad91

Postby eaad91 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:08 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
masked kavana wrote:I used the same PS with a couple of edits. Would suggest writing a whole new one. Any other questions feel fee to PM.

Why would you suggest this? Curious as someone who is about to reapply and was planning on just revising.

Curious as well.

Did speak to an Admissions Dean at a T20 school who said that they like to see new personal statements because they like seeing a "new applicant" rather than a re-hash of someone they rejected. I don't think this matters as much for waitlisted re-applicants because they probably weren't admitted because of space, but for someone who was previously rejected it might make a difference.

Also, some schools' websites have info for reapplicants where they say whether they prefer new or old statements.

Cooleytruthsayer

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:51 am

It would depend on WHY you were rejected (and not just waitlisted) and if you can show how you overcame said issue.

Example: Low GPA or LSAT can be raised if that was the reason vs rejected due to harder to overcome reasons like being a convicted hamster molester or something crazy like that (I have hamsters on the mind today-not sure why).

What was the reason? Can you show progress towards overcoming it?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:07 pm

You need as much of your application to be improved as possible. Sometimes this means starting from scratch on the essays. But if you have a LSAT score bump, and you know your PS was strong (verified by people who don't care about you/don't like you), you can get away with revising your PS (though I'd strongly suggest changing as much as possible).

If the only change you plan to make is to your PS, that thing better shine.

bincognito

Postby bincognito » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm

If the change is just applying earlier and with a better score then I have a shot at getting into schools I was waitlisted at?

bincognito

Postby bincognito » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks all for the information

HOS

Postby HOS » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm reapplying as well. I've had a LSAT bump, so am looking for a better cycle this time around. Having said that, I am busy writing a new personal statement + diversity essay, etc. for those schools that rejected / waitlisted me last time. I just don't want to risk it and miss out on a top school choice because I didn't bother.

Happy to hear other peoples thoughts.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 pm

HOS wrote:I'm reapplying as well. I've had a LSAT bump, so am looking for a better cycle this time around. Having said that, I am busy writing a new personal statement + diversity essay, etc. for those schools that rejected / waitlisted me last time. I just don't want to risk it and miss out on a top school choice because I didn't bother.

Happy to hear other peoples thoughts.

+1
If I were an admissions officer, I would like to see someone put in the effort of writing a new PS. Law school is a ton of work and any indication that the applicant doesn't shy away from hard work would be a plus in my book.
Also, I think it was Georgetown that says they "reactivate" your app when you reapply and add any new materials to your reactivated app. Not sure if other schools handle reapplicants this way, but why not take another opportunity to tell them more about yourself instead of submitting a PS they already have?

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:29 pm

When I get reapplicants, the first thing I do is compare the personal statements. If they are identical, let's just say it's not very long before I've moved on to the next applicant. Re-using the same PS tells me the applicant didn't even care enough to write another 2-page paper. Did nothing happen in the intervening months? The person didn't learn anything from the previous application cycle, from the job they worked, personal introspection, etc.?

Sure, if the major difference is a huge jump in your LSAT score, then they might see a different result. But if it's just a few points, and they have the same PS, virtually the same resume, likely the same grades...they're putting an awful lot of faith in the pool weakening around them to get in instead of improving their own profile.

Dean Perez

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”