Applications & C&F Information - I don't remember everything

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bobnoxious

Applications & C&F Information - I don't remember everything

Postby Bobnoxious » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:20 am

I'm 46 years old and will be applying this fall. I don't remember some of of my past addresses, dates of employment from age 18 until now, and I've had some charge off debts and a collections judgement (but don't remember from where and they aren't on my credit report now), as well as an arrest for a failure to appear on a traffic citation (forgot about the ticket).

Is this sort of stuff a problem for admissions and C&F issues?

Also, is there a company that can do a complete background check for me so I can have all the info I need for the applications? I can't seem to find one, but I don't want to risk giving the appearance that I'm trying to be deceitful when I honestly just can't remember everything.

Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Applications & C&F Information - I don't remember everything

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:52 pm

FWIW, you don't usually have to go back to 18 on everything - where age is an issue (e.g. the bar), it's usually going back 10 years or until age 18, whichever comes first (so a lot of people who post here go back to 18 because they're under 28 when applying for the bar). IIRC, law schools usually ask for "employment history" or something like that rather than wanting everything (random exs from places I applied: Columbia asked - back when I applied - if you'd worked during undergrad and for up to 4 positions of significant full- or part-time employment; Wisconsin didn't ask formally for employment, but asks for a resume which would obviously include employment, but doesn't require you to list everything). However, the bar only wants employment/address info for the last 10 years.

However, law schools will ask for things like arrests (what exactly you have to disclose depends on the language they use), and when you get to the bar they will also ask about civil judgments, so you will need at least some information about those things. For an arrest, I think you can contact the police department in the jurisdiction where it took place? And if you had a civil judgment entered, you can contact the court that issued it? (Not sure what your debt/collections judgment entailed, so sorry not to be more helpful.) After a certain point, if you really can't get any information, I think you can explain as much as you can remember, detail your efforts in trying to track down the information, and let the bar association figure out how to track down more information if they want (it would have to be a decent good faith effort, though).

In all these things, the priority is to disclose anything that might remotely have to be disclosed. Hiding anything from the bar is almost always way worse than whatever it is you're trying to hide.

bp shinners

Re: Applications & C&F Information - I don't remember everything

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:In all these things, the priority is to disclose anything that might remotely have to be disclosed. Hiding anything from the bar is almost always way worse than whatever it is you're trying to hide.

No one here is an attorney specializing in C&F issues, so you should definitely find one and buy an hour or two of their time to go through this with someone who can give you legal advice.

But from what I've heard from friends, making a good faith effort to find everything (as long as you don't miss anything that would have raised a red flag) goes a long way if anything falls through the cracks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”