The October vs. the December LSAT for best admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MiracleNeeded

Bronze

The October vs. the December LSAT for best admissions

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Due to my checkered academic past I may have to choose some lower tier schools and I'm fine with that. My LSAT prep has gone very well considering where I was 5 months ago but I feel that with 14 more weeks of intense study I can get into the 170s.

I was planning to take the December LSAT with no problem I knew I would have plenty of time to apply for school in September. Then I read that for most school per December admissions eats up a lot of seats. I don't want to apply post December and get screwed out of Hofstra because some other guys with lower lsats got in. Then I ask myself if I'm right and I get into the 170s, Hofstra probably left plenty of seats for people with those scores and even lower.

If I take the test now I can get in the high 150s on a really bad day. If I write in December and I don't mess around I feel I can get 168-172 with some calculations I've made. Even with a 161 I have an almost guaranteed spot at Hofstra and Pace and other places, but I may not hit it come test day.

I'm in serious need of more info from people who know the application and admissions process better than I do.

NYC2012

Bronze

Re: The October vs. the December LSAT for best admissions

Post by NYC2012 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:29 pm

NYC2012 wrote:Take December. And don't go to Hofstra OR Pace.
+1

Don't take it before you're ready.

As a splitter, you're only as valuable as your lsat

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:43 pm

NYC2012 wrote:Take December. And don't go to Hofstra OR Pace.
I wish I had more options, and I will apply to a few good schools like Fordham and some dream schools like Columbia and try my luck, but with what LSAC will do to my GPA schools like hofstra may be all I can get in to even with a stellar last. My plan is to transfer after my first year.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Are you NYC or bust?

What do you think your lsac GPA will be?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:09 am

Nova wrote:Are you NYC or bust?

I'm I'm NY and have a business here and family so NJ is a possibility, hut yeah NYC and surrounding is what i need.

I'm not sure what kind of crazy math these guys do. I think they count every F against you which would take my 2 year school GPA from 3.5 to 3.1 or lower. My 4 year degree school is 3.7 and I have two schools I went where I screwed up. I have a balance with the bursar's ag both schools so my transcripts won't be released and I may keep it that way. Worst case I dip below 3.0.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:48 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:Due to my checkered academic past I may have to choose some lower tier schools and I'm fine with that. My LSAT prep has gone very well considering where I was 5 months ago but I feel that with 14 more weeks of intense study I can get into the 170s.

I was planning to take the December LSAT with no problem I knew I would have plenty of time to apply for school in September. Then I read that for most school per December admissions eats up a lot of seats. I don't want to apply post December and get screwed out of Hofstra because some other guys with lower lsats got in. Then I ask myself if I'm right and I get into the 170s, Hofstra probably left plenty of seats for people with those scores and even lower.

If I take the test now I can get in the high 150s on a really bad day. If I write in December and I don't mess around I feel I can get 168-172 with some calculations I've made. Even with a 161 I have an almost guaranteed spot at Hofstra and Pace and other places, but I may not hit it come test day.

I'm in serious need of more info from people who know the application and admissions process better than I do.
Agree with everyone above. Applying early is much less important than applying with a better LSAT. Can't comment on the other parts of the situation but good luck regardless!
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:

I'm I'm NY and have a business here and family so NJ is a possibility, hut yeah NYC and surrounding is what i need.

I'm not sure what kind of crazy math these guys do. I think they count every F against you which would take my 2 year school GPA from 3.5 to 3.1 or lower. My 4 year degree school is 3.7 and I have two schools I went where I screwed up. I have a balance with the bursar's ag both schools so my transcripts won't be released and I may keep it that way. Worst case I dip below 3.0.
If you're above 3.0, it'll hurt but not nearly as much as you seem to think. If you're below a 3.0, it'll hurt a little more, but I think it'll still hurt less than you think. If you get that ~170, that is. They're not going to reject you because they filled a seat with someone with lower numbers - they'll reject you because they don't need your LSAT score to boost their median. If you score ~170, that won't be the case.

And you should also be looking at Rutgers.

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:43 pm

bp shinners wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:

If you're above 3.0, it'll hurt but not nearly as much as you seem to think. If you're below a 3.0, it'll hurt a little more, but I think it'll still hurt less than you think. If you get that ~170, that is. They're not going to reject you because they filled a seat with someone with lower numbers - they'll reject you because they don't need your LSAT score to boost their median. If you score ~170, that won't be the case.

And you should also be looking at Rutgers.
Rutgers is another school I'm looking at as well, but I will probably have a better chance at Camden than Newark. CUNY is something I'm looking at too. Very cheap and I'm interested in private practice.

Being Hispanic might help me get in somewhere a little more illustrious. I've always been against affirmative action but if it helps me get over the hand I'll be dealt by lsac, I can live with that.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:17 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”