The October vs. the December LSAT for best admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MiracleNeeded

The October vs. the December LSAT for best admissions

Postby MiracleNeeded » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Due to my checkered academic past I may have to choose some lower tier schools and I'm fine with that. My LSAT prep has gone very well considering where I was 5 months ago but I feel that with 14 more weeks of intense study I can get into the 170s.

I was planning to take the December LSAT with no problem I knew I would have plenty of time to apply for school in September. Then I read that for most school per December admissions eats up a lot of seats. I don't want to apply post December and get screwed out of Hofstra because some other guys with lower lsats got in. Then I ask myself if I'm right and I get into the 170s, Hofstra probably left plenty of seats for people with those scores and even lower.

If I take the test now I can get in the high 150s on a really bad day. If I write in December and I don't mess around I feel I can get 168-172 with some calculations I've made. Even with a 161 I have an almost guaranteed spot at Hofstra and Pace and other places, but I may not hit it come test day.

I'm in serious need of more info from people who know the application and admissions process better than I do.

NYC2012

Re: The October vs. the December LSAT for best admissions

Postby NYC2012 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Take December. And don't go to Hofstra OR Pace.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:29 pm

NYC2012 wrote:Take December. And don't go to Hofstra OR Pace.

+1

Don't take it before you're ready.

As a splitter, you're only as valuable as your lsat

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:43 pm

NYC2012 wrote:Take December. And don't go to Hofstra OR Pace.

I wish I had more options, and I will apply to a few good schools like Fordham and some dream schools like Columbia and try my luck, but with what LSAC will do to my GPA schools like hofstra may be all I can get in to even with a stellar last. My plan is to transfer after my first year.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Are you NYC or bust?

What do you think your lsac GPA will be?

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:09 am

Nova wrote:Are you NYC or bust?

I'm I'm NY and have a business here and family so NJ is a possibility, hut yeah NYC and surrounding is what i need.

I'm not sure what kind of crazy math these guys do. I think they count every F against you which would take my 2 year school GPA from 3.5 to 3.1 or lower. My 4 year degree school is 3.7 and I have two schools I went where I screwed up. I have a balance with the bursar's ag both schools so my transcripts won't be released and I may keep it that way. Worst case I dip below 3.0.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:48 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:Due to my checkered academic past I may have to choose some lower tier schools and I'm fine with that. My LSAT prep has gone very well considering where I was 5 months ago but I feel that with 14 more weeks of intense study I can get into the 170s.

I was planning to take the December LSAT with no problem I knew I would have plenty of time to apply for school in September. Then I read that for most school per December admissions eats up a lot of seats. I don't want to apply post December and get screwed out of Hofstra because some other guys with lower lsats got in. Then I ask myself if I'm right and I get into the 170s, Hofstra probably left plenty of seats for people with those scores and even lower.

If I take the test now I can get in the high 150s on a really bad day. If I write in December and I don't mess around I feel I can get 168-172 with some calculations I've made. Even with a 161 I have an almost guaranteed spot at Hofstra and Pace and other places, but I may not hit it come test day.

I'm in serious need of more info from people who know the application and admissions process better than I do.

Agree with everyone above. Applying early is much less important than applying with a better LSAT. Can't comment on the other parts of the situation but good luck regardless!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:

I'm I'm NY and have a business here and family so NJ is a possibility, hut yeah NYC and surrounding is what i need.

I'm not sure what kind of crazy math these guys do. I think they count every F against you which would take my 2 year school GPA from 3.5 to 3.1 or lower. My 4 year degree school is 3.7 and I have two schools I went where I screwed up. I have a balance with the bursar's ag both schools so my transcripts won't be released and I may keep it that way. Worst case I dip below 3.0.

If you're above 3.0, it'll hurt but not nearly as much as you seem to think. If you're below a 3.0, it'll hurt a little more, but I think it'll still hurt less than you think. If you get that ~170, that is. They're not going to reject you because they filled a seat with someone with lower numbers - they'll reject you because they don't need your LSAT score to boost their median. If you score ~170, that won't be the case.

And you should also be looking at Rutgers.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:43 pm

bp shinners wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:

If you're above 3.0, it'll hurt but not nearly as much as you seem to think. If you're below a 3.0, it'll hurt a little more, but I think it'll still hurt less than you think. If you get that ~170, that is. They're not going to reject you because they filled a seat with someone with lower numbers - they'll reject you because they don't need your LSAT score to boost their median. If you score ~170, that won't be the case.

And you should also be looking at Rutgers.

Rutgers is another school I'm looking at as well, but I will probably have a better chance at Camden than Newark. CUNY is something I'm looking at too. Very cheap and I'm interested in private practice.

Being Hispanic might help me get in somewhere a little more illustrious. I've always been against affirmative action but if it helps me get over the hand I'll be dealt by lsac, I can live with that.

cheaptilts

Postby cheaptilts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:17 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”