How Many 0L's Cheated in College/Pre-College?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Academic Cheating

Yes, I've Cheated in College.
8%
No, I've Never Cheated in College.
41%
Not Sure/Don't Remember If I've Cheated in College.
2%
Yes, I've Cheated in Secondary School.
16%
No, I've Never Cheated in Secondary School.
20%
Not Sure/Don't Remember If I've Cheated in Secondary School.
1%
I Wish I Never Cheated.
4%
I Have No Regrets about Cheating.
8%

Total votes: 109

scifiguy

How Many 0L's Cheated in College/Pre-College?

Postby scifiguy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:14 pm

According to a new survey, 42% of Harvard incoming freshmen cheated in the past:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ne ... 16482.html

How many of you have cheated before (whether big or small) in academics?

crestor

Re: How Many 0L's Cheated in College/Pre-College?

Postby crestor » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Anonymous posting.... I see none.

Huey Freeman

Postby Huey Freeman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:32 pm

I personally don't cheat (Honestly, I'd like to think that it's because of my ethics, but it might just be paranoia that I'll get caught...) but I go to a top engineering school and I've seen cheating happen in almost every test I take. There's always the guy who goes to the bathroom for half an hour and comes back enlightened on how to solve the partial differential equation he was stuck on for 45 minutes.

crestor

Postby crestor » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:I personally don't cheat (Honestly, I'd like to think that it's because of my ethics, but it might just be paranoia that I'll get caught...) but I go to a top engineering school and I've seen cheating happen in almost every test I take. There's always the guy who goes to the bathroom for half an hour and comes back enlightened on how to solve the partial differential equation he was stuck on for 45 minutes.

Your professors/teaching assistants didn't have measures against that? I was a humanities major and even to go the bathroom during a test it was a one by one basis and a teaching assistant would accompany you. In one particular class which was small and no such teaching assistants were in place to prevent this happening the professor said outright before the test to any people who have particularly intense bladders or what have you that anything over five to seven minutes in the bathroom will result in bad things. Then again, top engineering versus state humanities is a whole different group to compare against..

Ling520

Postby Ling520 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:51 pm

crestor wrote:
Huey Freeman wrote:I personally don't cheat (Honestly, I'd like to think that it's because of my ethics, but it might just be paranoia that I'll get caught...) but I go to a top engineering school and I've seen cheating happen in almost every test I take. There's always the guy who goes to the bathroom for half an hour and comes back enlightened on how to solve the partial differential equation he was stuck on for 45 minutes.

Your professors/teaching assistants didn't have measures against that? I was a humanities major and even to go the bathroom during a test it was a one by one basis and a teaching assistant would accompany you. In one particular class which was small and no such teaching assistants were in place to prevent this happening the professor said outright before the test to any people who have particularly intense bladders or what have you that anything over five to seven minutes in the bathroom will result in bad things. Then again, top engineering versus state humanities is a whole different group to compare against..

That sounds excessive. I don't cheat and wouldn't want others to get away with cheating, but I would rather a few students cheat than have to learn in an environment like that.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Looking forward to hearing crestor and scifiguy's thoughts on this matter.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:Looking forward to hearing crestor and scifiguy's thoughts on this matter.

I don't have any grand thoughts on this. I believe cheating is wrong and harms society, the cheater, and the cheater's classmates.

We've all heard the expression that you cheat yourself first and foremost whenever you cheat, because you take from yourself a valuable and character-building opportunity to learn discipline (hard work, time management, perseverance, etc.) and the specific skill set involved in the matter (be it math or English). You might gain a little bit of something in the short-term, but it can and often does bite people in the long-run.

You cheat your classmates, because grades for the class might be distributed along a curve. Even if the class isn't curved, you can also cheat them by gaining points that would boost your grade and, subsequently, your GPA, which can be used in evaluating job candidates, offering scholarships to graduate school, or any number of other things.

You cheat society, because you misrepresent your ability and achievements that can lead to others wrongly choosing you for a particular job or academic opportunity (such as law school). Society as a whole suffers from a mismatch of talent to jobs.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:23 pm

scifiguy wrote:I don't have any grand thoughts on this...

scifiguy wrote:I believe cheating is wrong and harms society, the cheater, and the cheater's classmates.

We've all heard the expression that you cheat yourself first and foremost whenever you cheat, because you take from yourself a valuable and character-building opportunity to learn discipline (hard work, time management, perseverance, etc.) and the specific skill set involved in the matter (be it math or English). You might gain a little bit of something in the short-term, but it can and often does bite people in the long-run.

You cheat your classmates, because grades for the class might be distributed along a curve. Even if the class isn't curved, you can also cheat them by gaining points that would boost your grade and, subsequently, your GPA, which can be used in evaluating job candidates, offering scholarships to graduate school, or any number of other things.

You cheat society, because you misrepresent your ability and achievements that can lead to others wrongly choosing you for a particular job or academic opportunity (such as law school). Society as a whole suffers from a mismatch of talent to jobs.
WALL OF TEXT

crestor

Postby crestor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:Looking forward to hearing crestor and scifiguy's thoughts on this matter.

I'd like to see anonymous posting for this thread enabled to further discuss my thoughts on my particular history. That's not going to happen but I believe the old saying its only cheating if you get caught.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:30 pm

You two goobers know I actually DIDN'T want to hear what you had to say, right?

Cooleytruthsayer

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:36 pm

I saw people cheat on the bar.

It was all women proctors and no one watching the bathrooms.

No former check in, just taking a seat at your number, and slim phones with the ability to store info and even to go online were hidden on people who openly looked at them while taking a leak.

no one seemed to care-great job Michigan.

The exact opposite of lsat security

guano

Postby guano » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Freshman year of high school a friend made cheat notes for a midterm but was too pussy to use 'em. I took them, and got a D

guano

Postby guano » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:44 pm

scifiguy wrote:

I don't have any grand thoughts on this. I believe cheating is wrong and harms society, the cheater, and the cheater's classmates.

Getting to the right answer is a vital requirement for most jobs; how you get there is not

crestor

Postby crestor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Assuming you have spent 3 years in law school, isnt the bar exam a giant memorization test? I have read that Cali and New York are SOMEWHAT hard but Michigan? Don't see the benefits outweighing the negatives in terms of cheating on hat. Then again, some people just dgaf and if thy know the proctors dgaf, then it's their life.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 pm

crestor wrote:Assuming you have spent 3 years in law school, isnt the bar exam a giant memorization test? I have read that Cali and New York are SOMEWHAT hard but Michigan? Don't see the benefits outweighing the negatives in terms of cheating on hat. Then again, some people just dgaf and if thy know the proctors dgaf, then it's their life.

This is some high quality posting.

Cooleytruthsayer

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 pm

crestor wrote:Assuming you have spent 3 years in law school, isnt the bar exam a giant memorization test? I have read that Cali and New York are SOMEWHAT hard but Michigan? Don't see the benefits outweighing the negatives in terms of cheating on hat. Then again, some people just dgaf and if thy know the proctors dgaf, then it's their life.

the majority of the people sitting it are from cooley if that helps provide a window into their mind
(the MAJORITY tend to fail it on any given exam)

on the MC I agree it would be stupid, but on essays.............it could make a huge difference.

Cooleytruthsayer

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

This is some high quality posting.

although most law schools are open book, cooley does tend to be closed book
perhaps she went to cooley too

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 pm

crestor wrote:

I'd like to see anonymous posting for this thread enabled to further discuss my thoughts on my particular history. That's not going to happen but I believe the old saying its only cheating if you get caught.

Not at all surprised that this is your opinion.

Cooleytruthsayer

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Here is a question:

Anyone here actually obey the honor code and snitch out cheaters?
If so, how'd that work out?

crestor

Postby crestor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:

the majority of the people sitting it are from cooley if that helps provide a window into their mind

on the MC I agree it would be stupid, but on essays.............it could make a huge difference.

I forgot cooley. My original point is taken back. The cooley median is somewhere in the 140s after all.

Cooleytruthsayer

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:39 pm

crestor wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:

I forgot cooley. My original point is taken back. The cooley median is somewhere in the 140s after all.

And with 4 campuses they basically ARE the state of Michigan at this point.

crestor

Postby crestor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
crestor wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:

And with 4 campuses they basically ARE the state of Michigan at this point.

Cooley law, proudly trolling the state of Michigan since 1972.

Cooleytruthsayer

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 pm

trolling nah.........less troll more zombie. like a plague that slowly takes over the body.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:32 am

I thought you said you were gonna stop making topics.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:26 am

Crowing wrote:I thought you said you were gonna stop making topics.

Seriously, scifiguy. I'm pretty disappointed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”